Sidekick Snorkel - What Tool Do I Use? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sidekick Snorkel - What Tool Do I Use?

OK, my Safari Snorkel arrived from Rocky Road yesterday (thanks Glenn). The installation instructions say I have to cut an 85mm hole in the fender. What's the CORRECT tool to do this job? I'm a wood worker, not a sheet-metal worker, so I just don't know the best way to do this (and I don't want to hose it up).

Thanks for your help folks!
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:10 AM
norgeman

Re: Sidekick Snorkel - What Tool Do I Use?

I've had good luck using hole saws.Drilling a starter hole and using a jigsaw works well also just take your time and go slow,be carful there is nothing behind the panel that the saw might contact.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:19 AM

85mm = 3.5" appox should be about the right size if you use a hole saw. I have a sheet metal nibbler that works great for that stuff, or even a air jab saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Plasma cutter?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Plasma Cutter. HaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!
Yeah Tim, or maybe a CO2 Laser, or an 88mm Mortar!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:55 AM
HankS

I would use masking tape over the area you wish to cut. Draw the hole with a felt tip marker, then use the dremmel tool to cut the hole. Not the fastest way, but it looks better than a hole saw, in my opinion.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:59 AM
HankS

There is a good write up on www.discoweb.org, tech section, mantec snorkel install.

May help you decide...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 04:24 PM
Addict

I fitted a safari snorkel to mine. I didn't have the right size so I used the largest I had and then chain drilled and filed to the correct size. If you have the correct size hole saw that would be the best option as the wing is profiled so its difficult to mark out. The Safari template is quite stiff cardboard you might want to trace out the shape onto some paper which will sit against the wing (fender?) better. Have a look at my website under mods-snorkel. Also the fixings through the wing are locking nuts but they go onto studs anyway. The nuts won't come off but the studs could fall out anyway! I used loctite. Use plenty of silicon sealant on the joints.

www.rhinoman.fsnet.co.uk
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 08:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have snorkel on all my rigs except our Liberty (when ARB releases one for it, I will install on e there too).

For all of my installations I have used a hole saw. It gives the cleanest hole. Just go slow on the speed so it doesn't 'catch' and spin off sideways.

And of course, double, triple, quadruple check the placement of the hole before you punch it thru. The actual install of the snorkel on my Sidekick only took about 15 minutes.... before that though it took a good 20 minutes for me to check and recheck the primary hole location.

Measure your mileage before and after too. We've always picked up better mileage after install the ram air Safari Snorkels on our rigs. You may find it pays for itself in less than a year in mileage savings alone, not to mention keeping engine temps down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode