can you bypass safety switch on samurai - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

can you bypass safety switch on samurai

how can you bypass safety switch on samurai if so could you explain how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 02:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: can you bypass safety switch on samurai

Yes you can, but do so with caution. It does have a very important reason for being there. You can unplug the wire going to the switch and make a jumper or you can wire in a toggle switch as an anti theft device.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:19 AM
weirdwillie

As Crow said, the switch does have an important function. Once when I was in a rush and I didn't realize the car was in first gear, I turned over my engine (it was an '81 Corolla without a clutch safety switch) and the thing lurched forward and took off. I was half in and half out of the car. I was "lucky" that the car ran into a chain link fence and stalled.

Despite the safety issue, it is very convenient to be able to bypass the switch. Most (all?) Toyota trucks have a clutch bypass switch that temporarilly bypasses the clutch safety switch. That way you can start the truck in gear (e.g., if you are on a steep hill and don't want to take it out of gear and/or mess with jumping from the brakes to the gas). I have thought of rigging up something like that. Maybe a temporary push button switch could be used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:59 AM

Bypassing the switch is not hard. Make sure you tell everyone who drives the car (ie siginificant other) about it. Otherwise...................

It hard to believe something so simple can have such negative results!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:15 AM

the safety switch is as far as i know only used for the US-market (makes me wonder why [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img])

mine never came with one, and that is good this way... it is a legitimate off-road technique to start the sami IN 1st gear and turn it over to get out of a precarious situation (the starter runs at about 400rpm, which is about half the samis idle speed)...

alfred
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, I already have used the trick of using the starter to crawl an obstacle.

When I re-did my wiring harness on the inside my truck wouldn't start and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out the clutch switch was unplugged. I used a simple jumper and all is good now. I occasionally forget (jumping over from my automatic truck) and turn the key in gear but the lurch is enough surprise you turn it off right away [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 11:28 AM

The easiest way is to put in either a push button or toggle switch onto the clutch switch wiring. I have a toggle on mine now so I can flip the switch while off-road and start it in gear.

Just look for the switch that is on the clutch assembly (above the brake pedal if I remember correctly) and splice into the wire on both sides of the switch with a toggle in between. This way you can retain the safety switch, but still bypass it with the toggle.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 11:44 AM

Just a question... other than safety is there a reason not to do this? I heard at one time that the clutch has some effect on the ECM.

Murph
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:08 PM

The only connection is that it keeps the starter from turning over.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey
As the others have said before it is not hard to bypass the safety switch. All you have to do is follow the switch back to the white connecter under the dash and then jumper the two holes. I was working on my 4.3 conversion when my switch went bad and I didnt even know it. I spent a good hour trying to figure out what went wrong. Oh any another thing, if you are going to bypass it make sure that you do it right and everything is secure. Cause you do not want to hop in the truck and find out that your sammy wont start all cause the wire fell out. Well just figured I would add my two sense.

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode