Is it OK to drill the frame??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Is it OK to drill the frame???

I don't know much about the properties associated with the frame and what may weaken it, but I really need the help. In the last week, when I was putting on the YJ's, I extended the frame by a couple inches at the front. I noticed that the frame was 2x4 tubing, of a very thin wall thickness! Guessing maybe 1/8"? Not sure, but thin. I'm going to be installing a 4.3L Vortec soon and need to mount some frame mounts to hold the engine in place. But would rather use some high grade bolts to hold the frame mounts in place, possibly with some welds too. Regardless, I was thinking of drilling the frame elsewhere for other projects on my mind, and could use your input.
On a side note, the Zuk project is on hold for at least this week and next. I had a bit of an "accident". My 7 inch angle grinder with a 1/4" wheel on it jumped back at me when I was grinding down the old Toy axle perches and struck me in the arm. Took out a lot of meat and caused some damage. Looked pretty serious with the blood squirting out in sync with my heart beats but all is well now. Nothing some surgury and rest didn't/won't take care of ;-) Take this as a lesson; I know I will.

Thanks everyone,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Veteran

Re: Is it OK to drill the frame???

Damn! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Glad you are OK.

Drilling the frame wont hurt it. Sleeves are are good idea. If it is something that will experience a lot of force, weld them in and use a backing plate.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:37 PM

glad to hear you arn't seriously damaged. Do your self a favor, go spend $20 (harbor freight) to $60 (sears?) on a 4 inch mini grinder. They are 10 times easier to control and do a better, faster job.

On the frame thickness, I got a news flash, thats not a particularly thin frame. Full size trucks use .120 wall channel comonly. Sure its deeper than the 4", but the zuk frames are pretty stout excepting the cross tubes.

As Jim said, plate the sites of heavy loads and sleeve it so it wont colapse. The only welding I avoid on frames are welds that go full depth vertically. If it is a stressed section its an almost forgone conclusion that it will fail adjacent to the weld (I can hear the welders axiom now, "my welds never break" yeah, but the weakend material next to it did, didn't it?)

I have had to plate too many frames with this failure, to not warn of it. Welds going lengthwise dont have that problem generally, as the weld is flexing like a bow instead of being in tension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:51 PM
Veteran

I use my 4" about 90% of the time, but if you need to move a lot of metal fast, the 7" rocks.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 05:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well, they already answered yer questions, not a prob to drill the frame. i do suggest sleeving it too though.

take care on that arm man.
BiLLy bOb
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 05:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

about welding on a stiffener to the frame..... make it so you weld a V on either end instead of straight welds down the frame.... will last a lot longer
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 07:57 AM
HankS

Shrock, No jokes about angle grinders? I figured you would at least laugh at him, like you did me!

lol
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Veteran

Well I did consider making a little joke about his user name [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

but argh, a 7" tearing into you just inst very funny! Gives me the willies. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

OK, I figured I'd get razzed about my name sometime but the explanation goes like this: Hemoglobin as we all should know, is the oxygen transfer component of blood. Essential to life. A hemo"goblin" would be a theoretical destroyer of that life force. I happen to be a genetic engineer/chemist and it's an inside joke with my labrats. I can see where the jokes can come in...hemogoblin...hmm, sounds a lot like..... anyway....LOL
Thanks for the help guys. The sleeving and backing will do the trick. I do happen to have a 4.5" grinder as well but the 7" really ate the metal away much quicker. The 4.5 is good for those hard to access areas.

Cheers,
Steve
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 06:13 AM

Hemo,
I hate to hear about your arm. What makes it the worst is that those rough jagged cuts like that heal slow and are painfull.

I got into the back of my hand with a 4.5 inch grinder a couple of weeks ago...they can tear you up too. It is a smaller wheel but it is turning twice as fast. Couple of years ago I was using it with a wire brush and no safety cover to remove some surface rust on a small boat trailer. The wire brush grabbed a piece of wire that was actually three strands with a wire nut on the end and beat the $*&@ out of me before I could let go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode