billy bob - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

billy bob

hi there,

can i ask you a favor? i noticed your buggy leaf setup... do you have any pics on that?

how are you doing with it? got tha "axle-wrap" rhytmical humping of the rear axles?

thx for sharing,

anybody feel free to pipe in ... ;o)

Alfred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: billy bob

Alfred,

i have several pretty good pictures of the bugy leaf system on my rig. i moved the rear springs inboard about 6 inches though. it allows them to hang under the frame pretty well and gives me some pretty nice flex.

being the chicken that i am, also the fact that i drive my rigs on the road ALL the time, i dont run a locker so axle wrap is almost non existant. i rely on FLEX and tire traction to put me where i want to go. it has ALWAYS taken me where i wanted to go so i just shy away from lockers. if i ever get lockers, id end up places i DONT want to be. ill try to find ya some pictures around here this evening. shoot me a email and i can send ya some.
[email protected]
later man.
BiLLy bOb
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 08:44 AM

I want to see pictures of your setup too...

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

thx, BB:

the mail is in the "tube" ... i also like your philosophical approach on flex...

btw... how are you doing concerning body-roll with the inward-moved springs? any problems? ... mine is a daily driver, too, and i mean 365/365 ;o)

again, thx
alfred
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:48 PM
HankS

This is an article on building a track bar. Should help eliminate your spring wrap problems.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/suspen...bar/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

rich, shoot me a email, ill email em to ya, the pics are big.

alfred, check email for pics. will probably take a while to receive em.
i also like your philosophical approach on flex...
thanks!
i definately prefer flex to lockers, because for flex, it has to be a SOFT suspension which means, no BOUNCING around. soft also means COMFORT!!!!!! which i tend to cherish very much. sooo, in the end i got a rig that goes EVERYWHERE i want to go AND a comfortable ride.

body roll, shew, it definately has a LOT more body roll than my other rig, BUT it only means that it will take some time to find the limits of it too. also means i cant drive it like a ferrari, will have to drive it like a moped FOR NOW!!![img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] already had folks look at me really strange on the street when i turn a corner fast. they freak out because of the body roll. if i turned the shocks (ranchoo 9000s) up on stiff, it might not roll as bad. i will experiment with it this weekend and get back to you on it.
hope the pics help, anymore questions feel free to ask, be glad to help ya anyway i can..
BiLLy bOb
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

BBob,

got your pics... GREAT stuff!!! congrats on that one!

I still got some Q:

- it looks like you put the goofy leaf into a sleeve in front of the u-bolts to keep them aligned with the frame, right?

- i noticed you are spua ...

- do you plan on an extra set of u-bolts to have the goofy leaf pinned against the frame in the extreme rear - for on-road driving? might this help with your body-roll? ... just guessing...

- anybody any thoughts on goofies in the front axle (w/out S/R!!) ... ???? would it be safe if pinned down?

again, thx for your time, i appreciate it!
later, alfred
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

it looks like you put the goofy leaf into a sleeve in front of the u-bolts to keep them aligned with the frame, right?
========
no, the sleeve looking thing is a factory "brace" i assume. i have my goofys u-bolted to the frame, in the picture you can see where i used a standard samurai axle u-bolt plate to "sandwich" the goofy onto the frame. i did drill and sleeve the frame itself so i could run a verticle bolt completely through the frame and goofy leaf to keep it centered. i did have to take a grinder and notch the goofy just a little bit to clear the u-bolts.

- i noticed you are spua ...

- do you plan on an extra set of u-bolts to have the goofy leaf pinned against the frame in the extreme rear - for on-road driving? might this help with your body-roll? ... just guessing...
============
i had originally planned on making pinnable mounts, but since i have finished most of the body on the rear, theres enough weight i dont THINK i need to worry about it. might fiddle with it in the future, but unless im driving very fast, i do not seem to have any problems with it trying to open. only at high speeds and very rough roads. since you drive yours on the street much more than i do, it might be wise to make yours pinnable. im going to get some sort of strap and fiddle around with mine to see if it will make any difference. dont expect it to, but i could be wrong too.

- anybody any thoughts on goofies in the front axle (w/out S/R!!) ... ???? would it be safe if pinned down?
========
that i have no idea on the front. if you do it, id say DEFINATELY make it pinnable since you drive on the street.
no thanks necessary man, thats what were here for. anything else, just holler...
BiLLy bOb
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

============
i had originally planned on making pinnable mounts, but since i have finished most of the body on the rear, theres enough weight i dont THINK i need to worry about it. might fiddle with it in the future, but unless im driving very fast, i do not seem to have any problems with it trying to open. only at high speeds and very rough roads. since you drive yours on the street much more than i do, it might be wise to make yours pinnable. im going to get some sort of strap and fiddle around with mine to see if it will make any difference. dont expect it to, but i could be wrong too.

snip

BB, my thoughts...

the goofy leaf sits straight below the the frame (when vehicle is parked)... if you go through a pronounced curve, say a cloverleaf... you frame/body tends to get pushed out of the curve... could this lead to the goofy sliding sideways under the frame (even if the goofy stays closed) ... the same could (would?) happen in an off-camber situation... pushing your pivot point uphill and increasing the danger of a flip-flop...

... but there is a very simple cure for that... make "guides" under the frame that impede that the raer (shackle) end of the goofy can move laterally, but would not impede opening up...

take care, alfred
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the goofy leaf sits straight below the the frame (when vehicle is parked)... if you go through a pronounced curve, say a cloverleaf... you frame/body tends to get pushed out of the curve... could this lead to the goofy sliding sideways under the frame (even if the goofy stays closed) ... the same could (would?) happen in an off-camber situation... pushing your pivot point uphill and increasing the danger of a flip-flop...

... but there is a very simple cure for that... make "guides" under the frame that impede that the raer (shackle) end of the goofy can move laterally, but would not impede opening up...
======================
if i ever do make mine pinnable im plannin on making some aligners like you describe for sure. for me, its for the most part not a worry, dont drive mine on off cambers much, yup, im a chicken. just not my cup of tea. give me a straight up/down hill, im game any day. just dont care for offcambers. i havent noticed much problem with it wanting to slide under the frame, because the frame is actually angled a little bit where i have my goofys mounted and i had to phsyically notch the goofys with a grinder to make the ubolts fit. so the ubolts also help align the goofys under the frame. but like i said again, mines more a trail king and only sees the road for about 5-6 miles a day, only some of the week. so road manners arent too important on my list.
BiLLy bOb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode