What the fuzzy?!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:17 AM
4x4xgirl

What the fuzzy?!?

Okay, so I'm driving around town in the early hours a few days ago. Come to a red light, stop, and wait for it to change ... and wait, and wait. Finally, after 5 minutes, I say screw it, look both ways, and floor it through the intersection figuring the light was malfunctioning. Fast forward to yesterday, I'm driving home from a shopping trip and need to turn left at a completely different light. Again, I'm stopped and I start to wait, and wait, and wait. Traffic was brisk being that it was lunchtime and lights were working from what I could tell. I waited in the turn lane for 10 minutes watching as 3 light cycles went through. Through all this time, my turn-on-arrow-only light remained red. So here I sit, after being crapped on by the traffic light gods once again this morning. I came to another red light and stopped. Again, I sat for like 5 minutes and no change. To add insult to injury, the oncoming traffic light turned green not once but twice to let traffic through. What gives? Think my Sami isn't heavy enough to set off the sensors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:33 AM

Re: What the fuzzy?!?

Hmmm, I have that happen to me when I am on my MC all the time, but it has never happened to me in a car (even my 1200 lbs VW sets off the sensors). Are the light "ground pad" sensors, or the little radar sensors that sit on top of the fixture?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:34 AM

i have had the same probelm 2 times lately first i was in a toyota 4x4 pulling a trailer with my suzuki waited 5 light cycles nothing so I finally went when the light turned green for the people acrost from me (when mine should have changed ) had 5 cars behind me by then and this was a rural road intersecting a freeway in the middle of no where the other in town in my honda car nothing for 4 light cycles finally went I think sthe sensors are a magnetic field sometimes they probably dont work well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:04 PM

Samurai's are Stealth to Motion sensor controlled lights...

here where I live, that happens to me all the time so what I do is gas/brake/gas/brake right before the white stop bar on the road, and if that does not work, I flicker the brights a few times and that works...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Veteran

I think, but I'm not sure, that they are like metal detectors.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:25 PM

Some are metal detecting, older ones may still be by weight. Motorcycles have a terrible time. It could be due to the lifts are making the majoir chunks of metal too high to sense. Try running slightly off center so the wheels are nearer the sensors, which are centered. (CA markes where the M/C's need to drive, dead center). You can report it to the city and the sensors can be set more sensitive.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:29 PM
GRW

Most lights have what they call "Loops" (they are barried under the road surface) (that is the way it is in every state I have lived in). They are weight sensitive, and can also be set on a timer (I used to work road contruction and my father was a project engineer for the state of Montana). The best way to get them to work is make sure you pull all the way up to the stop bar (big white bar painter/plastic stip on the road). Some times they are a little less than sensative, that requires a little help. Rolling back an forth and trying to hit the brakes as your tire is on the sensore works wonders. It's that or have you sami gain some weight.
I have a couple of lights on the way to work that require me to do the roll and brake thing every morning.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:19 PM

The area I live in, in CA uses metal detection, or is in the process of replacing weight sensitive with metal detection. Fairly simple instalation as they make some cuts with a saw, drop in the wires and seal the cuts.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 02:28 PM

the majority of them here where I live have a motion sensor mounted above the stop light and it is focused on the different lanes....

also, what they can do and probably do in many towns is put a loop, which is a resistive loop so that when you drive over it, it changes the resistance of the wire which will let the circuit know someone is there...

many of the vehicles with drivers airbags have a resistive film which will change resistance when you push on the steering wheel and cause the horn to go off...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

a friend of mine with a motorcycle briefly engages his starter and the electromagnetic field is sensed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode