Winch Mount - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:09 AM
Redius_Necki

Winch Mount

I am doing a bone stock for my daughter. (daily driver) I'm qadding on a bunch of dealer options. I have the bush guard but need pics and advise as how the dealers mounted the winch, had to be some hind of plate. Can anybody help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:26 AM

Re: Winch Mount

I am unshure of the items you mentioned but I would however sugest that (not knowing her age) a good set of bumpers (the stock ones are only about good for holding the turn signals, some one told me each one is less than 10 lbs) and a rear cage hoop (if she is going to have passengers in there ) are invaluable samurais are not tippy as many believe but I believe most would recomend a rear cage if passengers are going to be carried back there
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:36 AM

You will need to replace the bumper with an aftermarket one to put a winch on there. Wheeler's (<a target="_blank" href=http://www.wheelersoffroad.com>www.wheelersoffroad.com</a>) makes a really nice strong winch bumper but it's about $400+ (this is the one I have).

If you are going to put a winch on there, go with something that uses more than just the 4 bolt holes on the end of the frame (the factory eye hooks mount there stock). The frame is pretty thin and a winch pull has the ability to rip those holes out (not sure if anyone HAS done this, but it is a posibility).

If you can't replace the bumper/brush guard, then you might be able to have a plate added to the guard depending on how well it attaches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:55 AM

I bought mine as a total it had the stock bumper at the time sort of it was there at the time of the wreck but as mentioned the steel is thin and it did rip out thru the end of the frame pulled the bolts right thru the steel mine now has 3/16 plate added to the frame in that area it is welded to the frame and the crossmember it has held up to a 8000 lb winch pulling on it so far but i plan to build it stronger yet
i believe the winch mount he has seen is a factory piece and is like i 2000 lb winch wich will work if you are only needing a little bump to get yourself out I have a 1500 and have used it 2 times so far got crossed up in rutts in a mud pit just needed a little tention to get me going but without the wheel traction it would be useless
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 03:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

snip
The frame is pretty thin and a winch pull has the ability to rip those holes out (not sure if anyone HAS done this,
yup, it is not only a posibility, but a reality. been there done it already. just another agrivation to fix. even as a street driver, a QUALITY set of nerf/rocker bars is a nice idea too if ya ever get T-boned since the majority of vehicles out there is still shorter than a stocker zuk.
BiLLy bOb
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 12:42 PM
Veteran

I built front and rear bumpers from 2x4" tube and put a reciever hitch mount in them.

Then built a winch mount and mounted that to a reciever. I can use the winch on the front or back.
Pics are here.
http://customzuke.bravepages.com/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode