Tracker Clutch Cable Mounting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Tracker Clutch Cable Mounting

Hi --
Can anyone help out who has a 5-speed Tracker? In replacing the damaged clutch cable on my '96 Tracker, I may have messed up the mounting of the cable. Anyone has one, would you please describe the mounting of the cable?

On mine, the cable routes around just behind the radiator through two or three clips then the end terminates with the end of the housing with a metal disk and a large, matching-size rubber bumper/boot arrangement. On mine, I have the bumper up against the final cable mounting bracker that is bolted to either the block or a bracket near the motor.

That's the tricky part that I may have messed up on. From previous posts, I described troubles I had with the threaded portion of the cable breaking off. I made it work temporarily until I got a new, factory cable. Now, with the factory cable mounted as I believe the old cable was routed, the cable appears near the end of adjustment -- as though the adjustment rod end of the cable is too short. There is plenty of clutch left since there was much more adjustment left with the factory-installed cable but I wonder if I mis-routed my new cable. Does the rubber stopper go up against the mounting bracket or does the bracket slide between the rubber doughnut and the metal terminating end of the cable? Please help. If this is the case, I'll have another 1/2" of adjustment left. The cable works fine but as the clutch wears down somemore, I'd like more adjustment left. And I don't want to fiddle with the rubber doughnut and metal disk if these should not be separated -- which appears to be the case. It almost appears as if the threaded end of he cable is too short on mine.

Ackerdackerly sent a useful PM to me with a helpful photo of the Samurai cable that shows a threaded cable that allows the owner to adjust the effective length of the cable. Neither my stock or the replacement stock Tracker cable has this adjustment. Please help .... and thanks Ack !!!

Jason
Pittsburgh PA
1996 Tracker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:31 PM

Re: Tracker Clutch Cable Mounting

Your cable doesn't have a threaded portion to the end of the sheath? Mine had probably 3 inches of threaded section and 2 lock nuts, ond for either side of that mounting tab directly forward of the clutch arm.

Its not underneath the runbber boot is it? I can't imagine what other arrangement you might have to get one so different. Hmmm...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

There do not appear to be any of the locknuts to fit on either side of the tab -- the cable just sort of sits there against the mounting block with the rubber stopper up against the tab and cable tension holding it in place. There is about 3" of threaded material at the end of the cable itself but the housing is not threaded in any way -- which seems strange. In fact, tension is the only thing that holds the cable in place. When I removed the damaged cable, the whole thing just sort of popped off the mounting bracket -- which is why I didn't have the chance to carefully inspect the mounting prior to installing the new cable. Anybody else -- can you check and see what your mounting arrangement looks like? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Way Outta Control

On the bottom end the cable should have a threaded portion on the cable housing itself - with 2 nuts on it.
Set it so the bracket holds the threaded portion midway, nuts on either side. Tighten securely.

Now the cable itself should just barely go through the fork and the bushing - you'll have to push the fork up to it, as the fork is spring loaded. A nut goes on the end of the cable, I prefer to double nut it.
If the cable won't quite go through the fork enough, you can adjust it on the bracket, or, if you need to, you can take loose the fork above from the shaft and turn it one notch. Clean the junction between the fork and shaft first - look close, there's an alignment dot on the shaft and one on the fork - remember how it was before taking it off. You need a light and a mirror to see it.

Adjust it up to where you can get just a little bit of freeplay on the fork. When you push the fork forward you can feel the TO bearing contact the fingers, let it spring back just a tad, maybe 1/4".
I put a return spring to pull the fork back as well, just double insurance - I eliminated the mickey mouse spring on the cable. Straight bwehind it there's a hole that's easy to hook a light spring through.

If you don't have enough freeplay in the pedal, make that 1/4" more.

Aftermarket cables are pure garbage - the ones you get from parts houses. The difference between an original equipment one from a Chevy dealer and the garbage ones are unbelievable. They look similar, the the aftermarket ones stretch - giving big problems. Price is a little higher, but well, well, well worth it!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Addict

I had a similar problem when I replaced the clutch on mine. The cable is original but was at the very end of its adjustment. I turned around the bracket thats fitted to the motor and it was at the end of its adjustment the other way. I left it as it was, hopefully as it wears I'll get the adjustment back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode