Yikes, What happened? Engine swap obstacle.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Yikes, What happened? Engine swap obstacle....

I had to take a break before taking on my first suprise of this project.

I was in the middle of the classic tug o war / getting the tranny to let go of the engine / when "what the?" The transmission slid forward and unplugged at the rear!

The engine is hanging in the air for the most part: The engine mounts have been removed (one was busted) but it still has half an inch to separate it completely from the tranny. The tranny is sitting on the cross bar - more or less - with a four inch shaft nice 'n shiny (from unpluging) sticking out the back.

Crud, I was flying too. I was hoping to have most of this project finished this weekend.

Has this happend to you?

That's a first for me.... So I've got the manual in my lap to make sure it'll just pop back in but shoot... I must be missing a bolt or maybe I've torn a tranny mount? eh?

Thanks in advance

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 10:59 AM

Re: Yikes, What happened? Engine swap obstacle....

sounds like the tranny mount at the rear is all tore up
also there was a recient thread on dodge or something motor mounts that make great motor mount trplacements and they are cheap dont know what else could be used for a tranny mount other than oem
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 11:34 AM

its a dodge 318 mount part # 602469 from advance auto
ps dont piss the guy off at advance or he will rear end you later (sorry had too)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870727-DODGE 318 MOUNT 2.JPG (48.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

OK.

Not only was I speeding around town with the prerequisite of a broken motor mount (driver's side as usual) but the (insert explicitive) bolt that holds the rear of the tranny decided to vanish! How close to mahem was I? One bolt! The passenger side engine mount was the only thing between me and a whole lot o' metal carnage. When racing, I'd watch the stick move an inch or two while comming off the line, I had no idea. I thought my stick was torquing from my engine mods....

Anyway, I just have to back the transmission up a bit to reinsert the rear shaft thing and use a new bolt with some red locktite. --lots easier to type than do -- I'm operating on a shoestring tool collection since my tools were stolen last year in Salt Lake [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

And it's pretty miserable in the garage here in Dallas. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Wah Wah my p----- hurts [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ga
It looks like it sets the engine back since it's not inline, Is that the case?
Could you use that mount instead of the ****y (can I say that here?) TRANNY MOUNT!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There's no problem with the shaft popping out of the rear of the tranny. It will slide back in when you reassemble everything.

In the two times I replaced an engine (!) in a samurai, I always left the transmission on the engine and separated them at leisure aftwards. I had to remove the radiator and lower the pressure on the front tires to get the whole assembly over the grill. I also had one of those adjustable engine balance beams that let me angle the engine nose up at an angle of about 30-45 degrees on the hoist to clear the compartment.

REAL IMPORTANT -- no matter how you remove the transmission, be sure to drain the lubricant out first or you'll have a stinky puddle of oil on the floor! It'll pour out the tailshaft hole and the shifter hole with the slightest encouragement!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 06:47 PM

SORRY but its not a 1.3 its a 1.6 so i needed the offset due to i made my own adapter kit

i have my tranny out now i can look into it if you want me to but the bolts are really big and you have to drill out both brackets just a bit and cut some of the bolt off on the frame side no biggie just thought i would tell you

i have one more for the drivers side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870991-DODGE 318 MOUNT 3.JPG (31.7 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode