Air tank made of PVC? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Air tank made of PVC?

My son in law sent me a note stating that a person could make an air tank out of schud. 40 or higher PVC pipe ! any one ever do that out there????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:26 PM

Re: Air tank made of PVC?

i saw it made out of 4" pipe have not tried it yet but looks good
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

NOPE,NOT EVEN.I have been a fitter/plumber for about 28 years.The air tank must be built just for that,an air tank.As a fireman I have been to home garages that had the side of the building blown out when the steel tank that they used let go.I have seen off road bumpers built to hold air,but they were or should have been 3/16" thick or thicker.If your PVC tank let go and you were near it, you would be dead.My 2 cents,RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 10:31 PM
Veteran

Get some good life insurance. Very dangerous.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 05:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree good ins. I have seen cpvc used in industriil applications schedule 80 for air line but it doesnt take the abuse jared and or moved around not to mention pvc breaks down and gets brittle in sunlight
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 06:07 AM
mikrosilakhan

My buddy had one blow on his low rider and he said it was 10 time louder and scarrier than the largest pipe bomb goin off.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

That's what I kinda thaought!! It didn't sound like the best Idea I heard of myself!!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 09:22 AM

please correct me if i'm wrong, but what gives with this.

i mean pvc pipe not cpvc is strong as long as you take care of it. look at the psi on it some is rated at over 400 psi. i very seriosly doubt you will ever put over 125 psi in anything. give me a break you put a steel tank on and then you have the hoses and stuff. with MURPHY'S LAW crap will happen. if you use say a 3"pvc and make a skid pan and you put it close to the floor pan and inside close to the frame rail i see no problem. heck look at brents ride that big artic bar set up he has on the front is an air tank and he is a big well know vender. i have a big pipe on the front of my zuke some say fill it some say dont but i use it to push things sometimes and i think it would not be unsafe but i would not drive around the trails all day with it full anyway
if you have the money for the air locker setup then you would buy the steel tank i'm goona use mine to air up at the end of the day so i will only be putting air in at the end of the day and later if i need it might bring air wrench but only air up when needed

i have also seen a setup where you use used mapp gas bottles
it would be real safe but for the money a 2.5 gal tank would be faster and a lil bit cheaper.
just my 2 worth
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 09:41 AM

The problem with PVC is not its pressure ratings but its brittleness. It has no resilance to shock. I have run sch 40 PVC air lines in my former shop, but it is not being exposed to sunlight nor is it beng banged on and hit with rocks. It just sits there static. Once it decides to go it will fail catistrophicly. Ever hit PVC with a shovel in your garden? Busted. There is a reason it is allowed for secondary piping like sprinkler systems, but not the primary water system in your house.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 10:00 AM
mikrosilakhan

If i were to go ahead and make one i think id wrap it with a protecive covering of some sort.. a few rounds of chicken wire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode