t-case problem. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

t-case problem.

ok i did a little wheelin last night and i got kinda stuck in some mud and i had to put it in 4low. well i got out and locked the hubs and put it in 4 low and tried backing out and niether one of my front tires were spinning at all. i got back out and made sure my hubs were locked and they were so i tried it again and still nothing. so i put it in 4 high and they would spin. anybody know whats wrong with it? thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: t-case problem.

Ouch, all I can say is crack it open and take a look. Make sure your countershaft is all in one piece.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

would that affect any of the regular driving or just 4low. cause it works fine in 4high and 2wd but nothing in 4low. and it doesnt make any grindin noises or anything like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:01 PM
mikrosilakhan

First things ALWAYS first!!! make sure the hubs are UNLOCKED.. then have a buddy look under your truck,put it in 4 wheel and move ahead a few feet. I Bet your driveshaft is moving. If it is the t-case is fine. WHat your problem most lieky is if you dont have a locker in the front one of your hubs wasnt locked in all the way or its busted. The differential will send all the power to this wheel since it has no resistene.. Hence 2 wheel drive.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good thinkin Mikro, start with the basics duh, I was just jumpin a few steps ahead. Cause the same thing happened to a friend of mine only it didn't spin the front D-shaft, well not well anyway. The counter shaft's needle bearings were completely shot and it was wiggling around inside the case and screwing up all kinds of clearances. But his started making ginding sounds after a while or it was almost sort of a whiring sound. He had a bad leak at the rear output too and the case was low on oil, hence the bearings failing. Hope you just have a broken hub. Cause with a open diff and a broken hub that shaft will just spin in place doing nothing. Hubs easy and cheap to replace. T-case isn't.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:07 AM
Skip

Just went through that with a friends 4.16 tcase. It was a split cluster gear. Only failed in 4 low. 4 hi, 2 hi worked fine. No noises.
Good luck, let us know
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

ok i went out and put it in 4low with the hubs unlocked and yes the front driveshaft did move. but my question is if i had a broken hub then it shouldnt have moved in 4high either right? or could it be what skip said. the slit cluster gear? if so what the heck is that and what needs to be done to fix it? thnx guys
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:49 AM

if your front driveshaft turned while in 4wdLo, than it is NOT what Skip was referring to...
if it was what Skip was referring to, your front driveshaft would not have turned at all.

Now I would lock your front hubs and put it in 4wd Lo again and see what is going on.
most likely your hubs did not lock the first time. when you got it to work in 4wdHi, did you try it again in 4wd Lo right after they worked?

sometimes it takes a bit for the hubs to lock... I have had that happen before..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

hmmm no i didnt try 4low right after but ill have to give it another try and see if it works. thnx
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 06:14 PM

Skip,
I'm curios,was that cluster gear split at the weld?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode