How low can you go w/ 31"'s? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

How low can you go w/ 31\"\'s?

I currently am trying to get 31's on my Zuk while keeping the chassis as low as possible.
I am leaving the springs under the axle, and have removed my front clip and am going to cut the heck out of my rear fender for clearance.
Will I have enough room for full wheel travel without any suspension mods for 31's? ( shackles, more arched spring pack, etc...)
Has anyone else done this or have any pics of something close to what I'm trying to do?

I'm building a Zuk with the main goal being for the tough truck races.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 12:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How low can you go w/ 31\"\'s?

I had tried to fit 31's on with a bolt on SR and they really didn't fit good enough to even pull out of the driveway. I know daxe got the same tires on with the same lift and was able to drive around a little but said they really didn't fit either. No flex room. Hope that gives you a little in sight. Jim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can probably make it work with major fender clearancing and tubbing.

You'll probably need to tub out the rear, here are a couple pictures of my partially completed rear tubbing and fender trimming with YJ rear flares:

This is just the first phase I did to avoid cutting up some new 31x10.50 mud tires before a trail run that weekend. I used to run 31x10.50 ATs on different rims (more off-set) that rubbed a little, but I didn't mind the cutting (more siping).

With the new tires and less off-set, I wanted to save the tires so I cut the fenders and added the flares. The flares have a 1/2" lip. Instead of cutting the lip off, and loosing a 1/2" of coverage, I made some spacers out of PVC sheet to slip above the lip and then bolted the assembly to the fender.

When I get back to this project, I will finish the fender cutting, as well as completely removing the wheel wells, and fabricating new taller and slightly deeper wheel wells.

This truck has about 2" or so of lift over stock. There are 1" lift shackles, and maybe about another 1" or so from CJ lift leafs. I replaced two or three of the stock leafs in each pack with one leaf 2" CJ lift leaf (from a 2" CJ lift pack).

I'm going to replace this suspension with full length CJ packs a 1/2" lift shackle set-up, and a 1" body lift. I'm also going to flat fender the front. I'll be doing this by fabricating a new grill (probably stainless steel because I have lots of that at work), and moving the headlights in closer to the rad (lots of room for that on a Samurai).

I'm also expecting to have to tub out the front a bit as well when I replace the 31s with 34x10.50s (maybe Interco LTBs once I see what other people think of this new tire model).

To fit the 31s on your truck, you will have to tub out the front for sure. I'm not sure (off the top of my head) how extensive you will have to go with this, but I garrantee you will have to cut out the hump near the rear of the tire (firewall), and replace it with a deeper formation.

You might consider using CJ or YJ springs for a little lift, and better suspension action.

HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Veteran

If tube out the front and hack the back, I dont see why it would not work. Here is a picure of a Toy truck on 44's with NO lift and front axle moved forward. You might have to move the front axle forward a little worst case.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 06:50 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Oh I really didn't need to see that after just eating dinner...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Man, you guys are great!!

Thanks for all the ideas on doing this.

That Toyota is crazy! 44's with no lift, I like it!

Thanks again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Island,
Thanks a bunch for the excellent write up and pics!
The rear looks good.

What year CJ springs are 2"? I might have to get a set of those.
By using a CJ spring pack, will it kick out my front axle a little? Or what would be a good way to extend the the front axle out a few inches?

I have my whole front clip off, and plan on just tubing it.

On the rear, do you still have the factory inner wheel well still there?

Thanks again for the help!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 07:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

No lift? But isn't that a fully coil, long arm suspension with Dana axles? Might not have more lift than a stocker (which would shock me), that that rig is FAR from stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode