Strut tower spacers for Kicks/Trackers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Strut tower spacers for Kicks/Trackers?

Okay, continuously seeing references to these spacers as a good and cheap way to fix the stock suspension's lack of down travel due to the factory struts running out of down travel.

How does this work?

How does the install go?

Does anyone make these?

Does it affect anything in the normal steering and suspension geometry of the vehicle?

Please break it down rinky tink style to me. I've been proven to be basically mechanically inept 90% of the time. Sometimes I grasp things right away, other times...........not so fast, takes a few tries. I also can't make it myself as I have no fabrication skills and the guys who fab stuff around here would want to take the front end apart to see how it all works. It's the daily driver, so that can't happen.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:25 AM
Journeyman

Re: Strut tower spacers for Kicks/Trackers?

I tried a trick by flipping the upper strut mount over. Did not work, bottomed out strut before bump stop, not good on struts. I have stock kick no lift. Don't know about lifted kicks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

they sell those strut spacers at calmini by lookin at the design they seem like they would be easy to weld and make yourself I got mine with the lift looks like maybe a 2 1/2 3 in tube 3in tall with a plate on top and bottom with the holes drilled in seems pretty simple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The trick is to see how much room is left in the strut travel after the A arms are compressed into the bump stop. to do this remove the 3 bolts holding the strut to the strut tower drop the A arm, remove the spring, put the trut tower back in place and fully compress the suspension. If there is extra travel left you can make a spacer to drop the strut by that much If it is a small amount you could probably use large washers and longer bolts to drop the strut.

Sidekicks Rock

Dave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Hmmmmm.............guess I should see if the thing's struts have ever been changed. The rear shocks have been, but not sure about the front.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Might just be time at 161,000 miles.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Do it all at the same time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ifn you do definatly get the OME struts you can get them from any ARB dealer they are about 2" longer than the KYB's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode