EFI SAMURAI OWNERS BEWARE!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

EFI SAMURAI OWNERS BEWARE!!!

i sent my ecm to petroworks last monday, they recieved it thursday, had it repaired by friday and back in the mail same day. i recieved it today, plugged it in and my samurai fired right up. runs smoother than ever!!!
my repair cost with shipping was less than $300.
keep in mind, suzuki john wants $1300 for a new one. also, this was after i took my zuk to the dealer and they charged me $65 to plug it into the diagnostic machine and tell me that i needed a new coil, new ignitor, and a new crank angle sensor to the tune of about $1100. my dealer said they stand be hind thier diagnosis, so i am going down there monday and see if i can get my $65 back (not holding my breath bawhaaha)
my symptoms were as follows: driving along, and quit running. no start, no juice from the coil.
any of you guys with EFI start having similar problems, send your ecu to petroworks and let them check it (for free) bfore you start buying parts.
i am glad i did. third time i have bought from petroworks and am totally satisfied for the third time.

evidently, some capacitors in the ecm start to leak acid over time. the acid drips onto the mother board, corrodes the circuit and the ecm starts throwing false (expensive) codes.i wonder if that happens to 1.6L mills also. gary at p'works repairs the board and i assume he replaces the capcitors also. good as new!! if someone tells you you need an ignitor, i would check your ecm first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 07:43 PM

Re: EFI SAMURAI OWNERS BEWARE!!!

That is very good news for you especially, and the rest of the efi crowd here. "drew", maybe this would work for you too...or did you already find another one.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:35 PM
Veteran

Thanks Tommy, for one of the best posts I've read lately. Info like that is what keeps me hanging around here.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 11:35 PM

I'm goin to have Petroworks rebuild my ecu, just as long as that is the problem, which I'm on the virge of finding out. Maybe we can have a "group buy" on rebuiling ecu's, hehe, you think that's funny, I'm dead serious if all are of the efi samis are down because of this, that is something to consider, right? Maybe we can have dp post it and make it stay up at the top there and see what happens and what Petroworks can do to help us get our machines running again. What do you all think, maybe or no go?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:11 AM

Is it that big a problem with the EFI engines? I was considering a conversion as it sounds like the EFI engines produce more power, but hearing all this about the ECU's makes me think twice. How common is it to have the ECU go out?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:49 AM
RedRock

I just went thru the same problem. Everything electrical tests bad. You can spend a bundle before you rebuild the computer. An electronic guru told me that the old computers will burn out even under a stress condition.

However, the rebuilt computers don't have the weakness problems of the old ones. It was a Mitsubishi manufacturing problem between 90 and 95.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 02:51 PM

Oh believe me if you have to pay an extra 200 bucks to run efi, in my opinion it's WELL WORTH IT! I know this from experience, you know the experience I'm going through right now, LOL. 9 out of 10 guys with an efi sami on this board will probably say the same thing, the 10th guy just isn't on the board that often to see this post and agree, so he's then undecided, LOL. Anyways I don't know about the power, my old sami was stock carbed then pony carbed, I could tell a good bit of difference between the stock and pony, but it always had 31's, now I running stock tires on my efi. So I can't really tell, the speedo goes higher and I can use 5th gear, but that all has to deal with tire size. Anyways how bout the group buy thing guys? Do we not have enough people?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:11 PM

BTT
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 08:17 AM
Addict

If the capacitors were leaking then they were electrolytic types. This type of capacitor only has a life of 10-20yrs so its likely to become a common problem. They are however cheap to replace. I believe the manufacturing problem with Mitsubishi ECUs was with the voltage regulator which can be replaced for a heavier duty item. With any electronics heat is a major factor in the life expectancy. Keeping the unit cool, preferably by mounting it the airstream (not under the dash next to the heater outlet) would help reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode