'85 SJ410 found in junkyard; what's it worth? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

\'85 SJ410 found in junkyard; what\'s it worth?

While out on a day trip touring local junkyards, I came across an '85 SJ410 hardtop. It appears to be all there except for the rotted out front fender wells. I didn't ask the yard owner about it; wanted to find out what it's worth first. Are SJ410s that rare to be worth restoring? I gotta have a good excuse before bringing home ANOTHER project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:47 AM

Re: \'85 SJ410 found in junkyard; what\'s it worth?

Grab the Xfer if nothing else, it is the mini lobster unless someone swaped it, and also should have the DS Ebrake drum. It has 11% lower gearing than a sami has. It might also be able to be converted to 4:16 gears, I have had conflicting versions on the 85.

The primary difference of the 410's is the springs are under the frame, instead of offset. This can help for tire clearance, if you use the 3" wider sami axles.

other differances:

4:11 R&P
"flat" hood
smaller flairs
1L motor (cast iron block)
10% softer springs
4 sp unless you get lucky (if its the 5 sp for the 1L I might be interested)
different engine/tranny mounts
front calipers use a different pad, but the calipers will interchange with the sami
completly different ECM and intake setup, it should have a 1bbl side draft carb.

Thats mostly it.

Compared to the sami its rare in the US, because it was never a direct import. quite a few went to Canada and Hawaii, and elswhere in the world. I doubt a tin top would comand a ton of interest, but a PU now...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Steve, I don't think its worth getting.Where was it you saw it? LOL. Seriously I know the grill is worth money and some of the 410 Tcases and I think the rp's are different than Sammis. Stock engine 1.0. If you have the room and the price is right I'd grab it. Maybe 4-800 bucks? Same as Sammi money. Jim
Was writing this while outlaw was. Much more info from him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Is it fairly rust free? The frame is the real treat. Using sammy axles under it, you can go SPOA and have inboard springs. This would be a VERY flexy set-up.

You'd want to lose the motor, axles, tranny and driveshafts. But the frame and body would make a great project.

The t-case will have the correct gear for the 4.16 cut and weld gear. You can make it into a rocklobster.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hexk I would buy it. Right now I have a 1984 410 Hardtop that I am doing a toyota breeding project with. Going to inbound the yota spring sto the 410 stock locations and run yota tranny/t case with a VW diesel mated to that.

For a get around rig with the stock setup and not too extrem wheeling they are very capable.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:40 PM

no no no, your all wrong, who the he!! ever heard of a 85 sj410?????? the 85 zukis were sj413's with narrow axles......... they have the same xfer case as 86, same grill as 86, everything except the axles......... the axles are narrow like the pre 84 but the 3rd. members are the same size as 86 and newwer........ and filled with 3.90:1 R&P......... and they have 1.3L's and 5speeds.......... all parts will fit the 86's except the frame and axles........ but the 3rd.s hav lower r7p's which will turn 32"s with a baby lobster or rock lobster case.........
there...... i had my moment...... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

The emissions sticker under the hood said it's an '85. It has the SJ410 grill and emblems on the side. I'm going back tomorrow to take a closer look. And based on the information that you good people have provided, I'll determine if I'm gonna get it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:09 PM

Mud, 1985 was a transition year. both SJ410's and Samurai SJ413,s were built, for Canada at least. 86 was the first year they were imported to the lower 48. Been thru all this before in another place. Time for a moment of contemplation perhaps? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:48 PM

I bought a junked '85 SJ410 about a year ago. It had narrow axles, 1.0 motor, babylobster tcase(which is in my Zuk), slotted grill and SJ410 emblems. The production date in the door was somewhere around Jan or Feb in '85...........so it was an '85. It also had a cool flip forward bracket on the passenger seat. I believe Crow has the bracket in his Zuk now.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 07:00 PM
Old Hand

Hey Todd,

Don't forget that the rear drive shaft was 3/4 of an inch longer than the Samurai rear drive shaft.... and the drive shaft is now in my Zuk! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode