Mech Tempurature Gauge Readings???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:26 AM
HankS

Mech Tempurature Gauge Readings????

What do y'alls mechanical temperature gauges read when driving and setting still? I just got mine installed last night and was a bit puzzled by the temperatures produced while the truck idled in the driveway. When I am driving the temperature is at 170, when I got back home I let it set in the driveway running and the temp climbed to 210!
Is this OK for the 1.3 or is it a bit high???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Mech Tempurature Gauge Readings????

Sound high to me, is your fan clutch working?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Zuks temperature while driving is usually around 180. Now depending on how hot the air temperature is, lets say 110 in the shade, sitting still the coolant temp will rise to near 210. I can live with that. I don't know what the air temp was for you though.

210 degrees maybe higher than you would like it to be, but plain old water boils at 212 degrees. Lets not get into how elevation and atmospheric pressure changes this. With a 50/50 mix of coolant that number goes to about 223 degrees. Now when you add 15 psi of pressure from the cap you are near 268 degress.

Anyway, just my thoughts on this.

-G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:12 AM
HankS

Yea, its working. And I have an electric fan on it as well! The electric isn't getting up the RPM's due to low voltage. I am going to wire in a relay tonight to pull power straight from the battery.

I thought it was high too, but this is the first day I had the gauge on and wanted to hear the operating temps of other trucks.

I am worried about setting on the hot Texas trails forever, waiting for Samiam to blast his stocker through the obstacles! LOL
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How straightforward was using the heater hose to hook up gauge? Also how did the gauges fit in the dash?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 11:58 AM
HankS

Just hackin on ya Joe.
I took out my heater core and fan. So the two hoses that ran to the core needed to be plugged. I plugged the lower hose and shortned the upper hose on the intake short enough for the temp sending unit to get a good reading. Basically used an inch and a half of the hose. Looks really redneck, but who cares, it's mine!

In the dash, I took out the vent nearest the steering wheel and ground down the little thingymabobs that were holding the vent in place. The guage fit inside the vent like it was made to go in there. Looks good.

When are you coming to Houston for some fab work?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

quote: Looks really redneck, but who cares, it's mine!

Yep...thats you!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:34 PM

You could also build a tee for the upper hose with a pipe fitting in it. Sure its not on the right side of the thermostat, but it is where the water should be the hotest just prior to entering the radiator.

On a side note, hank, its a good idea to "loop" the heater hose input to output. It keeps the pressure down when the thermostat is closed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:41 PM
HankS

No thermostat in my trail rig. I'm in Texas.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:08 PM

Your coolant could be flowing too fast through the radiator to actually completly cool. There is suposed to be a "desert" Hi flow thermostat sutable for hotter climates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode