need advice, idle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need advice, idle

Just so's I don't piss off the regulars, I already did a search on the topic and none off it was applicable. My 88.5 has been running great lately, but yesterday it started idling real rough. Even when the air conditioner is on and the idle up is engaged, it will almost die. Without the idle up on, it does die. runs fine once I am in gear and moving, but shakes me up at idle. Just to eliminate the obvious, I have changed all the following in the last five months and it has been running good until now: O2 sensor, vaccum hoses, exhaust and catty, cap, plugs, rotor, wires. The EGR is not hooked up but it has been running good like that for months and now all of a sudden it started running rough over night. I visually checked all the hoses, and couldn't find anything wrong. I don't know the last time that the carb or distributor was cleaned/changed if ever since I bought this car about 7 months ago. Any thoughts?

kuriti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: need advice, idle

I had a similar problem. Just out of the blue, she started running rough and lost power. Cleaned the carb and that helped, but not completely. I had to adjust the float. How it got out of whack, I don't know, but once adjusted, it ran fine. Another thing to check is the fuel filter (back by the rear axle, inside the frame). If you haven't changed it in a while, do so. They can get some small sediment in the bottom that will intermittantly clog the line, then shake loose or stay clogged. Hope that helps.
Zukin'
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I changed the fuel filter recently as well. I do have a gut feeling it is the carb because it has been squirelly before. I am in denial to some degree because I don't feel comfortable breaking it apart and rebuilding it since this is my daily driver. Any suggestions? I am pretty confident that it is either the carb or the distributor. Could my problem be caused by the distributor? Seems like if that was it, it would have problems while driving as well. Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

kuriti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

It's not as bad you think. I have a weber carb and the rebuild was actually pretty simple. Just be careful and don't loose any small parts. Most kits come with instructions and a diagram. Be sure to get new float if it doesn't come with the kit. If it's your daily driver (like mine is), you need it up and running good so it won't leave you on the side of the road. Well worth the effort and the experience to do it yourself. (weekends are good, gives ya a couple days to panic) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Where ya at? Any other Zukers in the area to possibly lend a hand?
Good luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are the webers stock? I know mine is stock, but I dont know what kind it is. I have played with carbs before because I had a MG with duel Webers that I had to synchronize constatnly. I never pulled them off though. I am in Charlotte, NC. I know there are a few folks around here. If anybody wants a free beer and a big thanks, give me a shout. Unfortunately all my weekends are full for two weeks with travel.
Still looking for any suggestions as to other causes that will save me from the rebuild....... What happens when a distributer goes bad?

As an experiment, should I spray some carb cleaner in the barrel? If it starts to run better, could I conclude that it is definetly time for a rebuild?

kuriti
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:21 PM

I know you said you changed cap and rotor, but pop it and look. I have had 2 center posts disintegrate and dust the inside of the cap. Idles like [email protected] and eventualy it starts cross fireing under load. You can wipe it out, but the cap will need replacing as the post is going going going...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

No, the weber is not stock. However, yes, it would be a good idea to spray some cleaner thru the barrel, rev it up while doing so. -You could have some debre or junk floating thru the carb. Worth a shot! If it runs lots better, you just saved yourself a rebuild.
Never had a distributor go bad... maybe someone else has some ideas.....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You guys rock. Thanks for the tips. I wont be able to respond again till monday as i am headed for the beach!! Hell yeah. Different car of course. If anybody else has an idea, post it and I will respond or try it when I get back. Yall have a great weekend!!
kuriti
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Even though your EGR valve is disconnected, it can still cause problems. It can leak internally (intake-to-exhaust), or develop a hole in the pressed-in cap on the back side. Either condition will cause a major vacuum leak and rough idle. The only sure-fire way to eliminate it as a possible culprit is to remove it and temporarily plug or cover the holes in the manifold, then go for a test drive. Other sources for vacuum leaks would be the distributor vacuum advance diaphragm, the secondary throttle diaphragm, the choke pull-off diaphragm or the carburetor base gaskets. BTW, did you check your air filter? HTH
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

try cross wiring 2 plugs.... will cause it backfire thru the carb and possibly blow out whats cloggin it.... i've done this and got my old stock carb to straiten up b4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode