QUICK Can anyone help me?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

QUICK Can anyone help me??

Need some quick help..Was getting ready to put on my new Sumo 2 head (Thanks Dave!) and decided to rotate the pistons a few times to look at the bores. Just rebuilt this 100 miles ago with new rod brgs, main brgs, pistons, pins. When the pistons would change directions, there would be a loose kind of slap sound. maybe the rings?? or what?? This had a knocking sound to it at certain rps which sounded like valvetrain noise to me which is what prompted me to get the Sumo 2 head. But, could it have been these pistons?/ Is this a normal sound?? Want to put the head on tonight, but am uncertain about the pistons now....no sense putting the head on if I'm just going to pull the engine!
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: QUICK Can anyone help me??

See if you can rotate it by hand with the head off , and keep a very light amount of feel on top of each piston , one at a time . If the rods are loose at all , you'll feel it thunk . It could be a bearing , but you mentioned it sounded like the valvetrain , who's speed indicates a wrist pin . If they aren't pressed in correctly , they can damage the piston and cause the pin to be loose .
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

can't really feel a genuine THUNK, but feel something there. Would the rings make any noise? Do they slide from top to bottom in the grooves? That's what it feels like. I remember seeing the piston pins when the shop got done with them, and they were definitely tight in the pistons. What could cause them to loosen up? Think I may just bolt it all together and see what happens..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Is it possible the bore size is incorrect ? If you can move the pistons back and forth inside the bore , they're too loose . The rings do move a little within their grooves , but not enough to feel . Also , when those rods were pressed on , they should be snug , but the pistons should be able to flop freely on the wrist pins .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The bores spec'd within the standard tolerances when rebuilt, so standard sized pistons were installed. We probably should have just had it bored out to be sure, but it all looked so good. no ridges or anything, nice clean bores. I can get very minimal movement from the pistons if I try real hard. Stll though, when turning the crank with the 17mm wrench, I can hear a clack sound from the pistons and get a slight feeling when they reach the top of the stroke, and start back down. If I wiggle the wrench back and forth, I can make them clack each time. I don't know. Really don't want to have to pull this thing right now, but may not have a choice.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

By the way, when the pins were pressed in, the pistons did move freely, and the pins were very tight in the rods.
I was just hoping this was a typical thing with the pistons and rings. have not had much experience working on these.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 07:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Did you check for cylinder roundness? with age, the cylinders get out of round. Also, there is a possiblity that your oil galleries are draining when the engine sits for a while because of crappy flap-valves in your oil filter. Some cheaper filters won't hold the oil back when the engine is stopped which causes the oil galleries to drain and lots of noise from unlubricated parts in the head along with the pistons themselves when the engine is started.

Ask your parts store guy/gal for a good er maker reccomendation...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, fired it up and yup, can hear those pistons a knockin! The new head and cam however really sound good. Gives the Zuk a whole new attitude. Can hardly wait to get the rest of it fixed now! Looks like I might be in line for a short block 1.3 for an 88 if anyone has a good used one around.
Thanks for the advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode