how to quiet a K&N filter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

how to quiet a K&N filter?

I think it was Pug said it best - 'sounds like a tug-boat'. the 240diesel w/ underhood K&N gets a serious resonant drone doing 4500-5000 rpm on the shifts. Can anyone whos played with K&N style fitlers/intakes comment on the relative noise levels of open K&N,VS K&N with a foam pre-filter wrap, or would I be better off just running a snorkel, and getting the 'source' of the noise out from under the hood? ( or is the tubing for the snorkle just as loud?)

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: how to quiet a K&N fitler?

I understand what you are going through , but there isn't much of a cure . The only thing a tube added on will do is amplify it more . The best way to shut it up is to create a large airbox it can get it's volume of air from , much like the stock air filters and boxes on newer diesels . I want someone to explain to me how some of the newer heavy equipment I work around is so quiet , especially LeBehr and Duetsch . Their engines never sound like they ever hit a strain , and yet they have incredible power , and no hint of smoke , ever .
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks sarge. I hand some tiem free today, and looked into some of the new setups. It appears that those 'boxes' are actually layers of acoustic damping / plastic shell..IE, they're masking the noise, not getting around it. I've also listened to the Niva while a friend drove it down the block, and its considerably quieter outside than in ( meaning its a resonance, not just a 'noise'.)

with a 30" long hood, and future plans calling for a turbo, and intercooler, I dont have room for a huge airbox...right now I'm thinking of experimenting with a lined tube (to damp out the resonance), and a roof height snorkle, to move the noise outside the body: any suggestions or thoughts before I start cutting holes in my body shell ?

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:43 PM

Hey Chris-

I hadnt seen you around in awhile and thought you may have wandered off hehehehe. Hows those projects coming along?

shawn
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes , actually . You may just need to "tune" the noise out . It should be the same principle as speaker boxes , in that they have to be tuned to the amount of air movement for a given resonance . If perhaps you went with a larger or smaller diameter tube , even perhaps insulated on the OUTSIDE . This may relieve some of that drone that diesels are famous for . Usually , the larger the tube , the lower the frequency . If you get it low enough to match the engine's own resonance , they can actually cancel each other out . Some auto makers even experimented with this years ago , using a seperate speaker system to cancel out engine and road noise . Also , some insulation blanket under the hood and maybe even in the fender wells can help a lot , since those panels do nothing more than act like a reverberating drum .
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Hi Shawn, actually, I'm taking the Zen approach to my zuk projects: the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line....in the opposite direction 8^D

I DID manage to confirm that the Nissan 720/Zuk case combo is feasible, but only for vehicles with 7"+ of lift. even then, I'd question whether or not you want to lose the clearance the double case setup would cost you. the divorced Toy setup is coming, but I've been just too darn busy to work on the Zuk much. (I'm building up the whole truck, as we'd discussed before) right now w/ parts everywhere, my back yard looks like a bad episode of junkyard wars 8^P

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode