SPOA using stock springs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:44 AM
bord

SPOA using stock springs?

Are any of you SPOA guys running stock springs? If so what are the advantages or drawbacks. I dont need much lift so I was wanting to keep my stock springs but upgrade to some longer travel shocks. Anyone done this?

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 10:08 AM
HankS

Re: SPOA using stock springs?

I have done it. I am currently running 33's on a spoa and body lifted sammy. My springs have definately seen their better days. You could get away with it if you aren't going to do much wheeling. But if you gear it down and add large tires the springs will probably start to wrap on you. Do a search for springs, there is alot of ideas floating around!!

Advantages = cheap
Drawbacks = You'll twist em up wheeling and have to replace them in the not so distant future!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 10:10 AM

put in a trac bar on the rear and you will get more life out of the springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 10:26 AM

SPOA configuration does work the spring much more than the original SPUA config does. and they do wear out faster, my front springs went fast... and my rear springs went really flat fast to the point there was no arch in them, but there are things you can do about it.

I am running a 5 pack setup on the back of my rig. take the two bottom leafs off a front pack and add them to the bottom of the rear pack... also I am still running the overload spring with them..

the ride is nice and not bad at all... also I have noticed that I have quite a bit more getup and go with them this way, less of the initial torque is being lossed by the axel rotating like it used to with the old 3 pack.. less axel rotation, more power getting to the wheels...

that is one option you can do instead of buying a track bar.

the minimum lift you will get with a spoa is aprox 5 inches of lift and if you add the two extra leafs, you will be sitting at just over 5 inches of lift- up to 6 or so inches of lift, depending on what condition the springs are that are going on your rig.

hope this helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 12:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

I loved them. with 31" tires. Don't know why everybody is have such bad luck with them. I had mine SPOA'ed for 5 years with no probs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:19 PM
mikrosilakhan

Theyll probably last if you don tlock up either end but once you lock up the rear ect make sure to use a anti-wrap bar or theyll be wasted... How long is according to how much and how hard you wheel.. Mine lasted bout 4 months.. Same as my freind toddss who have both ends wrapped up on them
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

I had Lockrights at both ends:')
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:42 AM

Suzuki Corp. news bullitin
Congratulations Bill, you have just been recognized as the only samurai owner who had our experemental springs for a samurai, they were designed so that if you ever lifted your samurai and put lockers in it, they would never warp or go flat...
so to claim your prize all you have to do is send them back to us and we will send you out a set that should have been on your samurai in the first place, again congratulations....

Bill just giving you a hard time...
but it does seem from your comments that you happen to be the only person who owns a samurai that has done what you have done to your rig and still kept the springs from going flat.. and I am sure that you have and still run your rig in some good hard off-roading...

LOL
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Can't Get Enough

Sweet, what's my prize[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But to honest I kept the stock overloads in the back, I also think it has to do with my driving style. If I can't crawl it... I use only just enough juice to get me through.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:34 AM

here you go...
you are the winning bidder...
<a target="_blank" href=http://home.houston.rr.com/surrenderownz/auction.htm>http://home.houston.rr.com/surrenderownz/auction.htm</a>

LMAO....

Bill, I agree with you
driving style has a lot to do with it, also I really believe that when the 88.5 and up samurai's came out, with the "softer" springs that will wear them out too

with my rig, and the 16v engine, it is really hard to not floor it and leave people in the dust after all those years of flooring it and moving like in slow motion to even try to accellerate with that 1.3L engine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode