Rear Passenger Side Tire Wobbling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear Passenger Side Tire Wobbling

Hey gang, I was trolling around looking for some info on my Suzuki Sidekick (sorry guys, it's the winter beater - although it may eventaully turn into a hobby off road beast!). I figured I'd try here since you guys are the enthusiasts, and would be generally more mechanically knowledgeable then the local parts guy.

So, my sister got into a bit of an accident with my Sidekick (it's a '90 2dr 4wd hardtop - no convertible), and took some damage to the rear passneger side wheel and bumper. The bumper is no big deal, and at first I thought the wheel was no big deal, or at least I had hoped it was no big deal. The problem is, that the wheel is wobbling - I've tried changing the wheel/tire and it still wobbles which leaves me to believe that there is a bent axle (recent research on this site points to the fact that the OEM rear axles are about as strong as toothpicks) so I went to the local scrap yard and got myself an entire rear end assembly from drum to drum - before my research. Looking over things now, I am going to guess that it may be easier to just try and replace the passenger side rear axle, but the practical side of me says to just replace the entire rear assembly in case there is other damage from the impact that I can't see.

For those who have replaced the entire rear assembly, how hard or easy did you find it? The vehicle has low kms (less than 100kms) but I don't think it has ever been undercoated (I've owned it for less than a year and haven't undercoated it as yet) so rusty bolts and brake lines may be an issue. I am mechanically inclined (my daily driver and fun machine is a VW Corrado so I am constantly fixing something) and was wondering experience wise, which would be more recommended - just try to replace the axle in question (is it cliped into the diff somehow?) or should I replace the entire rear end?

Sorry for the rant, and any and all responses are appreciated.

Thanks,
Gopal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rear Passenger Side Tire Wobbling

Replace the entire rear end and be done with it, no more worries. Only thing to check when replacing the axle is to make sure the gear ratio in your replacement axle is the same as your bent axle. If not you will need to swap the chunks, just make sure the carrier bearings are ok, they may have been damaged in the impact also.

Wes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 09:13 AM

Before you replace the whole axle, check both axles for pinion backlash and disernable axle bearing wear. cherry pick the best one, or parts. Yours has been in an axident, but you dont know how the other axle landed in the wreckers. Tou might also look the spring mounts over to see if any damage occured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 12:41 PM
GRW

I would be taking a tape and checking to make sure things didn't get moved around.
If they did, you will have the same problem no matter what rear end you put in there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Gop

First off welcome to the BBS.

I see your from the land of rust and if you do decide to change the whole rear end prepare for SEIZED bolts!!!

I have parted two Tracker and this has been my expirience. I'm in Quebec, CAPITOL of the salt spreaders....
I have two third members (center section) where the suspension pivot bolts to with 3 bolts broken off in each!! As for control arms, I have NEVER been able to remove a bolt from the sleeve in the rubber bushing.

.Bad luck? Maybe, but get some GOOD penetrating fluid and a set of torches ready to go if you decide to go that route. On the other hand if every thing looks ok and it's just the axle, pull it and stick a new one in....
Too bad you didn't ask I have some spare axles here to (almost) give away.........lol
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:42 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
i would say that the rim is bent and that is where to start. have a local tire shop check to see if the rim is bent. then from there you can check the axles. and so forth. always remember start small and finish faster.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:54 PM

Jim, he already tried swaping rims. Its probably the axle shaft or flange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode