Toe In Adjustment ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Toe In Adjustment ??

What's the best way to make the toe-in adjustment ????? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 08:07 AM
Addict

Re: Toe In Adjustment ??

Are you asking which way is the best way to measure it? or how to set it?
Steve
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 08:08 AM

When installing the Calmini stuff, I measured center to center on the factory drag link and adjusted the new to the same. How short sighted of them to put all right hand threads on the rod ends, eh?
I don't remember what factory specs call for, but put the front end up on jack stands, and remove the front wheels. Clamp a straight edge to the bottom of the rotors on each side, and use the inside edges as your baseline for taking measurements. Good luck, hopefully someone will chime in with the actual measurements...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

take it to an alignment shop..... that an important adjustment youre messin with
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 08:35 AM
Addict

I use a toebar that I built for this purpose. First think I do is jack up the frontend. Take white paint and spray the cent of the tire lightly. Make sure your wheel bearing are not loose. Then spin the tire and scribe me a line all around the tire in the paint, so I will have a accurate point to measure front. set the tire down on my homemade turntable and use my toe bar to get the toe reading in the front and back. I have both sammys set to 1/32 toeend to the front. If you take it to a alignment shop, make sure that you trust them and they can read a tire to see what it might need. Alignment is a needed skill, not just a measurement.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 02:12 PM

Crow,

I agree that a good front end shop is the best way, especially if your going to be on the pavement much. Toe does effect tire wear, but also has alot to do with how well your sami will track straight down the street at speed, and how comfortable it feels to you while doing so.

If you are doing it yourself, whe white paint on the tires with a line scribed is how we do our race cars as well. I dont know if it is as critical on a solid axle front, but on a control arm front end, you want to measure with the suspension loaded with the weight of the vehicle on it. Perferably on turn tables, but if not, ive used Lexan on top of oil dry on a concrete surface.

Jim
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 05:12 PM

Crow,

While having a shop do it whith fancy equipment can be good, it is only as good as the operator. If you not sure of the operator, IMO your better off doing it yourself. (I've had terrible experiances at the local Goodyear outlet. Much less a chain store.)

A Beam axle is simple to set the toe on anyway. A Reasonably level work area. Suspension loaded is important as mentioned. Turntables are nice but not neccessary. You can scribe the line with or without paint. Jack up a wheel and rotate it, better if someone else does the rotating. Use a screw driver cantelevered on something solid, about the height of a coffe can. Measure front and rear of the lines as high as the chassis will let you, but the same height front and rear. After getting it where you think it should be, roll it back a foot or so, and back forward. That will set the load, and re-check. If it doesn't settle down in one or two tries, start looking for something loose like wheel bearings, rod ends or kingpins.

I have done every kind of suspension this way with no problems. Race cars, trucks, street cars, you name it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 05:37 PM
Skip

Crow,
I too have done my own toe in adjustment as others have noted. My toe in tool is 2 pieces of aluminum channel that slide on each other with a bolt ground to a point at each end. One point not yet brought up. If you have to adjust your toe in more then 1/8 inch (radials), 1/4 inch (bias) to get a good steering ride you have a problem elsewhere in the system. These numbers are good for up to 32 inch tires. On the 38 inch bias plys I had on my W250 Dodge it was 1/2 toe in as set by a shop and tech I knew
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 07:17 PM

Just a FYI. Alignment specs

Samurai 1986 thru 1995
Front
Caster: 3.50-degree(s)
Camber: 1.00-degree(s)
Toe-in: 5/32-inch

Sidekick 1989 thru 1996
Caster: 1.50-dergee(s)
Camber: 0.50-degree(s)
Toe-in: 5/32-inch
Specs taken from Haynes Suspension,steering,& driveline manual (#10345)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 07:27 PM

Way too much Toe for the stock tires and wheels! Although would be good for 35's on 10" or 12" wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode