How Hard is it to replace a Fuel Line - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Urai

How Hard is it to replace a Fuel Line

I recently purchased a 1987 Samurai. The body is in excellent condition, however, the car has problems idling and it stalls. So far I have advanced the timing and sprayed chemtool B-12 carb cleaner into the carb. After the car sits I can start it up and it idles fine. However, if I then turn the car off and on a few times the idle becomes worse and the car starts to stall. I went out and purchased a new Dist. cap, rotor, ignition wires, air filter, Fuel filter, and spark plugs but have not had the time to put them in yet.

Today when I was looking to see where the fuel filter was located I noticed that my fuel line is in very poor condition. It has many cracks in it and is rusted along its entire length. There is one place near the rear wheel where the crack is big enough to leak fuel. The leak is not huge but enough gas is leaking out to kill a small area grass (diameter of a softball) underneath the car over a period of a few days. Also, there are 2 lines that run along the frame below the fuel line. What are these lines? The line that is on the very bottom seems to be corroded in the same spot as the fuel leak.

How hard is it to replace these lines? Is it a simple swap or are there other preparations that need to be made in order to do it. Also, do you have to prime the new line to get the air out of it before hooking it up to the fuel pump or does this not matter? Where can I find replacements for the fuel line and the other two lines underneath it? Also, how much do they cost?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: How Hard is it to replace a Fuel Line

Most real auto part stores should have the lines you need. What I've done is to cut the old line in about 4 or 5 areas, then take out those sections and lie them in the way they originally on the vehicle, then take the new line and a small tube bender and recreate the line. Take a small piece of line to the Auto parts store to match up the size. Make sure to get a few feet extra, always better to have too much then not enough.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 05:05 PM

the two lines below the main line are the fuel return line and the line comming out of the charcoal canister to catch unburned vapor and put it back in the tank... if you remove the shield inside the rig behind the passenger side rear wheel well, and you will see a little container with a line comming in and a line going into your filler hose... that is where the line goes from the charcoal canister...

the lines are not that hard to replace.. just make sure that you use penetrating oil and lots of it on each bolt you are going to take off...and use new bolts to replace the corroded ones you just took out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 09:28 PM
Urai

The two lines under the main line look smaller... whould a parts store (like Autozone) carry these lines too? Also, does anyone sell pre bent lines? If not, how do I bend the metal without kinking it? Would a line with a larger diameter be better or is the fuel flow limited by the fuel pump?

What precautionary measures must I take when attempting to replace these lines. I assume that I must drain the lines and tank before I attempt to cut the line in case of a spark??? Finally, the line is held to the frame by a bolt and a loop of metal... can I get replacements for these too. Thank you for your help.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Urai

Can anyone help. I would really like to know so I can plan what to do next to my samurai. I would like to get it on the road by OCT 1 or so. Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:50 PM

Urai. you should put at least some info in your profile. No one knows if your loca, or around the world.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Urai

Well, I am not sure what local means to you but I am from Buffalo NY.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Pooh-Bah

Use a tube bender so it doesnt kink, here is one thats cheap(price and quality) but has worked ok for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3755
If the lines are so rusty, you could probably just use a pair of wire cutters or tin snips and they would cut easily. can also use mini tube cuters, found in any hardware store in the plumbing Dept.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 12:06 AM

Your not local to me, but several, (at least) of the guys on this board are fom NY and might be able to show you what you need to do. I would, but I'm 3000 away from you.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 12:00 PM
Urai

Ha ha ha... that is a considerable distance. You could always fly out here and show me j/k. I really want to get the car in good working order so I can off-road it and see how it drives in the snow. This forum is great and I have already learned a lot just by using the Search button. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode