question - 1.6 EFI 8 valve swap diagnostics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 09:20 PM
pugrocker

question - 1.6 EFI 8 valve swap diagnostics

I am not sure how to run the diagnostics on my recently installed EFI set up on my 1.6L 8 valve........according to the Haynes Manual and the FSM you need to insert a fuse into the diagnostic fuse slot on the fuse box, which of course my zuk does not have because it came from the factory with a carb........so my question is do I need the fuse (could I screw up the ECU by not using a fuse) or do I have to install a fuse box which has this available or can I install an inline fuse somewhere (and if I can - where do I install it) - thanks.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: question - 1.6 EFI 8 valve swap diagnostics

Exactly. Yes you can. And it's great!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 07:38 AM
pugrocker

huh? [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:48 AM
pugrocker

anyone..............help?????
how can I run a diagnostic if there is nowhere to plug a fuse into my fuse box - do I need a fuse? - do I have to install one somewhere? [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:58 AM

Hey pug, doing some "fine tuning"? Hope nothing serious, I know it was running great at the FabFest!
Here's my take on the situation. That fuse is simply used as a switch to put the ECM into diagnostic mode. The schematic I have is for a 16v, but what they did was connect pin 1 of the ECM to one side of that fuse. The other side of the fuse supplies the juice, of course. Simply get a toggle switch or similar and wire it into the ECM harness at the appropriate pin #. That should do it. Just to be safe, you may want to fuse it with the same rating as you would put in the factory location. Good luck, and hope this helped.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 10:04 AM
pugrocker

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It is acutally running great - better mpgs and much more powerful than my ill-tuned weber - I just want to run the daignostics to see if everything is running as per spec. I will try to track down a wiring schematic for the 8 valve and add a switch and fuse - thanks!!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:43 PM

Hey Pug, check this out. The Samurai already has a switch wired up to put it in diagnostic mode! It's mounted under the dash on the right side of the steering column. If you've never noticed it before, believe me, it's there. Only thing is I don't know if it grounds the pin at the ECM or supplies 12V to it. You'll have to figure that one out yourself. However, it's already wired over to the ECM; just cut if off the original harness or tap into it. That'll be real trick!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 05:04 PM
pugrocker

great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] - I will definately check it out and let you know what happens - I smell project for the weekend
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 05:09 PM

The switch you are referring to is for canceling the "check engine" light when the samurai reaches predetermined milage intervals. I guess it could be rewired to serve as a diagnostic switch.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 05:10 PM
pugrocker

oh........the check engine switch??? How would that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode