Tracker hoses, what a hassle to buy... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Tracker hoses, what a hassle to buy...

I have the hardest time keeping H2O in my dang Tracker, last night it was the heater hose that sprung a leak. So I thought, no big deal, pull it off, quick to Autozone & back on my way. NOT!!

AZ has a listing and stocks a part, its just the WRONG PART! The one I need is from the heater to the pipe, not the heater to the intake manifold. The hose the helpful 'Zoner brought out was the heater to manifold hose. We double checked, then pulled the number for the heater to manifold hose. It did not look like any hose on a Tracker.

Had the same problem later with Checker, same mismatched hose & numbers. So, today I call my local Chevy dealer and my local Suzuki dealer, neither of them stock heater hoses! Have to special order it, 3-4 days! Tried 2 more Suzuk stores and a couple more Chevy dealers all with the same result... GRRRR!

Tried unsuccesfully tonight to put a bike tire patch on it as a temp fix till I could get a replacement. So now I'm down to 1 car for 3 drivers probably through the weekend. That is just asinine!

Heater hoses are normal wearout items, not expensive and not hard to warehouse but I can't find one within 60 miles of my house. Somebody give me 1 good reason this should not be a stocked item at every Suzuki dealer... (And a $6 difference in price between 2 dealers over the phone ; what's wrong with that!)

BTW, it wouldn't be such a big deal except this is a molded hose with a 90 degree bend at the front end. No good way to use normal heater hose as it would kink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 04:47 AM

Re: Tracker hoses, what a hassle to buy...

Just as a reminder, It is not really cold out this week, a chunk of normal heater hose with a kink in it would stop the leak for a week or two until the proper hose arrives at the parts house. Duplicates effort, but one who is down to one vehicle could be made whole again.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 09:08 AM

I have inserted copper tubing inside hoses that had to make turns (that would collaps the hose or have made big loops with the hoses) perhaps one or both of these ideas would alow you to use a standard hose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 09:48 AM

JUST USE some reg heater hose longer than needed and give it a lil twist and a loop and you will be out 3 bucks no biggy thats what i did on my 1.3 then i went to a 1.6 so i had to make it longer
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I've been considering both your ideas, either an oversized loop, but more likely a fabricated hose using Home Depot copper pipe bends and some rubber hose on the ends. Lots of effort for what should be a $10 and a 10 minute fix.

The unavailability locally makes me wonder what a person who's not mechanically inclined would do if they were traveling through on vacation and blew a hose. Could be stranded for days waiting for Suzuki or Chevy to deliver.

You know I'm mechanically inclined; I screw up everything! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 12:56 PM

Take in your hose and ask to go back to the hose aisle and look for something that will work, you can probably find a longer one with the right bend and cut it down. Or just buy a piece of regular heater hose and leave it longer so the bend is not as tight. Or, most parts stors sell a 90 degree barbed fitting in either brass or high temp plastic.

If you don't mind waiting, you might try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockauto.com>http://www.rockauto.com</a>
I bought a new radiator hose for my 1.8 a while back from them. They had it in stock and I had it within a week. Every parts store in town has the upper one on the shelf, but not the lower one (the one I needed) they can't even order it.
Called the dealer and they don't stock it. I've learned that if my Zuk dealer doesn't stock it, you ain't gonna get it from 'em (at least not the right part), so it's not worth bothering to order it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Yup, already tried the 'just find something on the rack to cut to fit' route. Since this hose is only 1/2" its a pretty limited selection to choose from.

Finding a hi temp enough elbow seems tough at the autoparts store though. That's why I'm thinking Home Depot plumbing department.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Tracker hoses, what a hassle to buy... Fixed!

OK, I went the easy way out and just put in a fresh length of normal hose with a fairly large loop in it. No leaks and ugly but at least its functional.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode