HELP!!! Thinking of buying 1991 Sammi - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:38 PM
4x4xgirl

HELP!!! Thinking of buying 1991 Sammi

Hi, I've found a 1991 Sammy that I really like. Problem is the guy won't go any lower than $1700 which I think is a little high for everything that needs to be done to it. Please advise.

The Good: 97K miles, 3" lift, new AT tires, good top, tow hitch, front light assembly, no leaks from engine (I'm gonna take it to a mechanic just to be sure should I decide to buy it), new clutch pressure plate

The Bad: small knicks and dents, slight rust around hinges, no backseat (but I'm not sure if this is the model that had one), needs new rear shocks

The Ugly: needs new passenger window regulator, inside is an absolute mess, I'm going to have to remove ALL carpet and replace it, engine makes a clicking sound upon acceleration (my old Ford Bronco II made a sound like this once and it turned out the valves needed to be adjusted ... think this might be the case for the Sammi?)

The only things that I think would make this thing worth the $1700 are the lift and the tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP!!! Thinking of buying 1991 Sammi

That's not that bad for an EFI Samurai. You aren't gonna find many Zuks out there that are 11 years old with a good interior, the 91 didn't come with a back seat because of new safety laws. I got mine (an 88.5) completely stock in mint condition except for a somewhat souped up G13A, and Esteem Bucket seats for 2 grand. If the valves need adjusting, that's easy to do yourself. Just check out the technical section here on Off-road.com. Carpet who needs carpet, I have a carpet kit in mine and wish I didn't sometimes, luckily it's brown so all the mud matches. As long as the engine only needs a tune-up, and compression is good, drivetrain etc. etc. Sounds like a deal to me! A little rust is gonna happen just beat it while there isn't much. These things don't ride nice, they aren't powerful, but they are fun to drive, and are great off-road so if thats what you're looking for. Go for it, these things are easy to work on too!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd tell him 1,500 and thats it. If he doesn't just tell him that if he changes his mind to call you, but you can't/won't go higher. I've seen some here and there down here in fla. from 500 bucks in decent shape to 2,000 obo.
If he wants to sell it he'll go down a hundred or two I'd think. Just remember to make sure you want it and it runs good. Don't let yourself get over-excited and make a deal you might regret. Although I'm guessing your gonna be smart about it as you've said you'd take it to a shop to have them look it over. Good luck to you with it.

Tom from Fla.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 05:36 AM
Can't Get Enough

That's not really that bad. For a '91 FI. Depends too, on where you are. I paid $2000 for my '88.5 with a spoa lift. But it still needed lots of stuff done to become trail worthy. Ended up with over $5k invested. Just depends on how far you want to go with it. Don't let cosmetics sway you. Scratches and plain old TLC or lack thereof don't really affect value. Doesn't take much to "clean" one up. Main thing is the mechanics and how solid the frame and body are. Vavles are known to be 'loose' and can be adjusted (accounts for the ticking noise at accelation) - be sure it doesn't knock or tick when idling. Does it smoke?
Also, there's lots to be done with it in aftermarket mods and upgrades, just follow this BBS if you need any ideas.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 06:36 AM
Riz
Journeyman

One of my '91s was bone stock when I bought it (one owner) and it came with a back seat?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Riz
Journeyman

What part of the country are you in ? In Minnesota 91s are going for for over $3000. Carpet for about $175 if you want to replace it, so figure that in. Doesn't sound too bad a price overall though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

as far as the dents and dings..... just think of them as some you wont have to put there...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

4x4xgirl:

What kind of lift?

If it is a SPring Over Axle (SPOA) lift, take a close look at it. If the spring perches (the metal plates that are between the axle and spring are noticably smaller than the original ones (which may still be attached to the opposite side of the axle), you may want to pass this one up. Or ask less than 1700 for it.

There was someone selling trailer perches on eBay calling it a SPOA kit for cheep. They are not anywhere as beefy as the Original Equipment Manufacturers Perches or any of the quality aftermarket Perches available.

I ran across an '87 Sammy with a set of these dinky Perches on it and the guy wanted $850. I offered him $200. I don't think he was able to sell it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 07:13 PM
mikrosilakhan

Hmmm ok heres one of the times i enjoy living in NY My sami was 250, todds 350,chucks250 i think,joels around 400.. Bills was like 600 but had a nice hardtop.. Adams hardtop was 1000 but nearly rust free and low miles.

I gotta think in the shape your talkin with all them problems i wouldnt think of it. I have one thats pretty rusty in my garage right now with 80k and goes liek hell. I got it for 250 bucks. My other beef with a 91 is its fuel injected and them computers fail alot and there almost no existent to find
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 11:40 AM
4x4xgirl

Yeah, the computer in the engine has me scared, too. All in all, its a really-nice looking rig, but I'm still hesitant. I just can't seem to convince myself to jump at it so I'm probably going to pass. If anyone is interested in the '91 just drop me a line, and I can give you the specs (Its in Marietta, GA). I did find an '88, though. Only bad thing is its in NC. Sigh, all I want is a Sammi to call my own. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode