open element air intake on an EFI engine? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:23 PM
pugrocker

open element air intake on an EFI engine?

Has anyone who installed an open element K&N type filter (i.e. MegaFlow) on an EFI motor noticed any significanrt power increases or better fuel mileage or am I better off just spending a few dollars and replacing the stock air filter with a standard K&N?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: open element air intake on an EFI engine?

i had a 91 eagle tolon and i put an open element k&n on that and noticed a power difference but not so much a gas milage difference it seemed to be more responsive to.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I noticed a differance with my Mega-flow, mainly notice more power between 4-6 grand. Have a little bit more Highway passing power. EFI will net you like 2 more horses, and better fuel economy. HP for the Megaflow I'd estimate at a little more since it is noticeable. Do both [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:07 PM

I think the question is more towards "what is better: a k&n in the stock airbox or an aftermarket job where more than likely the filter is out side the stock box."

I use the stock air box for convenience. I have used open air in other vehicles but it comes down to this-- If the area (in sq cm) of the airway at any point between the air mass sensor and the stock boxes hole is smaller than the area used by the by the sensor... ditch it and get something that breathes better just keep the threat of moisture in mind...)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 06:41 AM
bneiman

You should get the K&N element for your factory airbox & do the open air intake. My type of wheelin requires the use of a snorkel or I'd suck water for sure. I fabbed up my own Ram-Air snorkel and I found that there are absolute increases no doubt. Mine are the same as the increases described in the above replies. Is it worth it? In my opinion absolutely. If I took off the snorkel and removed the K&N element I'd loose a signifigant amount of performance. It works & that's a fact.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 854179-RamAir.jpg (96.0 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 07:23 AM

I run a K&N open elemet too..
Have no idea if it really makes more power, but it sounds cool.. been running one for about 5 years.. complete with custom Fernco intake.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

I have a K&N style on my Weber carb. Something you have to remember, your system can only flow so much air. On the Weber, the throat area is around 1.94 square inches. As long as no other part of the intake is smaller, adding an expensive filter will not add one thing. A fancy air filter cannot change the laws of physics. I have found in stock air boxes the heater control valve area is much less than 1.75 square inches, so I removed it and added a 2 inch piece of PVC that will go to a snorkel. Now nothing is less than the actual throat area of the carb. The same idea works for any car truck or whatever.

Good luck,

Jim
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 09:15 PM
pugrocker

I found an open element air filter - a K & N knock off at Pep Boys for $24.95 - so I picked it up and installed the mo'fo. It actually made a difference too - better throttle response and it feels peppier in the mid-range[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mini4x - when you say it sounds cool do you mean it sounds like a tug boat or an outboard engine - because mine sounds pretty loud now and it gets even louder when the headlights are on (????).....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 08:24 AM

Do you have any parts numbers for that Fernco setup?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 08:29 AM

Since it was hard for me to justify the money for a MegaFlow, I just got a spare air box and drilled it out with a 2" hole saw on my drill. See attached picture if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode