Cherokee p/s in a Samurai? [review] - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Cherokee p/s in a Samurai? [review]

So, it seems that mounting a cherokee power steering box into a Samurai is not so easy to do. Using a parts rig I have, I attempted to make room for this monstrosity.
First thing I see is that the radiator mounting bracket has to be chopped off the frame. OK, no big deal. I can fab a new one somewhere else. Then I realized that the pitman arm was too far rearward. And that seems to be the crux. In order to make room, the radiator would need to be moved an inch or two so that the steering box could be slid forward by it.
I think I'll try one out of an Chevy S10. I was looking at one today. It's much shorter and also has the bonus of using a rag joint. And it looked like it would hook up to the hoses I already have with the saginaw pump. Oh, anyone got pics of a saginaw in a Samurai? Any suggestions on fabbing brackets would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cherokee p/s in a Samurai? [review]

Well, since I can get a Cherokee power steering system for close to free, I think I am just going to go ahead and do it all and do a writeup on how to do it. I don't want to spend $300 on power steering! Screw that shiznit! I'll do the extra work to save money man. Plus, I like doing things to my rig so I can make my mother wig out when I have it all torn down in the garage! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

To me, it looks like moving the radiator means going to an electric fan. That's an additional expense unless you can come up with one for nothing.
I think the frame crossmember may also be in the way, and you can't cut that. Even for free, it doesn't seem to be a good candidate for power steering in a Samurai.
If anyones done it, I'd like to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll find a way to do it, don't you worry. I will find a way to do that. I can easily get an electric fan... but my question is would I keep the stock mechanical one? Or just toss that one out. Wouldn't hurt to leave it in I suppose to keep the thing cooler. About how much would I need to move the radiator over? I will do a complete writeup on it once I actually do it. Waiting for the guy to scrap out the Jeep to send it down, which will be rather shortly.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1st thing i got rid of was the stock fan..... not real effecient and robs power
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alright, what all do you take out? Just the fan blades themself, or the whole unit?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 05:58 PM
Rotozuk

You can check out my site for a Saginaw install. since I'm running 37" tires to start with, I figured the Saginaw would make a better canidate.

For stockish Zuks, I'd stick with the Celica or Sidekick based power steering setups.

http://RZ-Products.COM/WAYNE/UPDATES/update19.html

-Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode