Winch preventative maintenance? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Winch preventative maintenance?

After submerging my winch this weekend, I am wondering what I should do to keep it clean and working properly.

Spray the cable down? Unspool the whole thing and back in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 08:07 AM
weirdwillie

Re: Winch preventative maintenance?

I have an old Warn 8000. I have submerged it many times and have rarely performed maintanence on it (i.e., a complete tear down). The motor itself is sealed, but the planetary gears/clutch can get water in them. It is fairly straightforward to take everything apart and regrease the gears. I would say if you are only submerged for a few minutes, then a yearly (or longer?) tear down is probably ok. However, if you were submerged for a long time (e.g., stuck for hours in one of those Florida mud bogs) I would do a full tear down.

Are you near Ocala National Forest? I went to U. of Florida and would head over there every now and then. It was a neat place to wheel and camp, especially with those nice springs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Chris,
This is what Warn says:
- Inspect the wire rope before and after each winching operation. If the wire rope has become kinked or frayed, the wire rope needs to be replaced.
Be sure to also inspect the winch hook and hook pin for signs of wear or damage. Replace if necessary.

- Keep winch, wire rope, and remote control free from contaminants. Use a clean rag or towel to remove any dirt and debris. If necessary, unwind winch completely (leaving a minimum of 5 wraps on spooling drum), wipe clean, and rewind properly before storage.
Using a light oil on the wire rope and winch hook can keep rust and corrosion from forming.

And since you sometimes go into water, I think you should take it to be serviced sometimes, or else its gonna keep lotsa Dirt and rust in it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 09:15 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have also submerged mine many times, and it continues to work flawlessly. It was torn down and rebuilt a few years ago, and there was no indication it had been submerged. It's a Ramsey REP 8000. I do pressure wash it with the rest of the vehicle (each one it's been on, 3 of them now), and the cable is fine. If there is any mud in the cable, it'll dry out and flake off the next time you use it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I should have RTFM I suppose (on Warn's site)

Willie, Yes, we went to Ocala last week. I wheel a lot there with my Sami and my Dual Sport motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode