Sidekick turn signals don't work - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Sidekick turn signals don\'t work

I'm in need of some expert electrical help here guys.

Went to visit Bob tonight. Bob is retired and buys & fixes up Trackers & 'Kicks to keep himself busy. He's rebuilt an 89 now to include replacing the entire wire harness from the dash forward. (There was a fire when the rod came through the block and the oil got on the exhaust manifold.)

So, Bob has everything on this car working, except the turn signals. They actually worked one time for a couple flashes, now nothing. He's been chasing wires for 3 weeks. The 4 way flashers work. There is switched power to the fuse panel. The fuses are all good, (I checked.) He's even changed the switch assembly for another he has in his spares bin. No joy.

Tonight we broke out the FSM wire diagrams that I had blown up for him and an ohmeter. Thought we should be able to jumper across the 2 wires on the switch leading to the right or left and get a complete circuit when switch was in correct position. No joy again.

I've included a picture of the FSM wire diagram (partial). Could somebody provide insight into which points on the harness connector should give a circuit? More importantly, could I get an informed opinion what else might have been overlooked?

Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 851877-wire harness partial.jpg (79.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:23 PM

Re: Sidekick turn signals don\'t work

Sometimes the 4 way uses a different flasher that the turn sigs do. Have you checked for that? ( I'm too tired to trace the shcematic tonight! LOL Besides, Minr are Samy schematics...)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 06:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree - probably the flasher, but it COULD be the turn-signal lever in the steering column. My 2-door had a flakey TS switch, and I just got a new one off Car-Part.com for about $30.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:32 AM

here is a odd thing i learned recientally i was installing new non suzuki turn signals i had the front ones disconected and was working on the rears they wouldnt flash as turn signals but would as hazzard flashers so i put my test light on the wires on 1 of them suddenly it started flashing it seems the flasher requires a certain amount of ristance to work on mine the flasher just buzzed and the turn signal would just light solid till i added the front lights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:53 AM

Yep, the flasher unit does requier a minimum load. It works on heating a bi-metalic switch that disconnects the circuit as it heats, and reconnects it as it cools. You will also notice a trailer being connected will commonly increase the speed at which it flashes, which is why they make heavy duty flasher units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode