warn hub fuses and birfield rings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

warn hub fuses and birfield rings

Broke my first birfield out wheelin the other day. I couldn't believe I broke it. Not locked, I have a 4.16 case 1.6 8V and 33 12.5 tires.
At any rate thanks to help from you all and Brent at Trail Tough I got the axle out of my parts rig no problem and I'l throw it in my rig tommorow. It only took bout 20 minutes or so to pull it.
So I got to thinking about a stronger set-up. I thought about going to yota axles but after talking to Brent and some others I decided not to because I do alot of dune cruisen and I like the samurai's light axles. I called spider trax and talked to them about birfield rings. They said with those on you rarely brake a birfield but the weak link becomes the axle it self. so when that brakes you have to disassemble much more to get the axle and pieces out. So I asked about switchin to warn hubs and hub fuses. Spider Trax said the fuses were designed for a dana style axle with the 297 Ujoint. They thought it might work but they hadn't tried it. I talked to Brent about birfield rings he didn't like the idea and honestly I can see why it's easy enough to just change out a stock axle and be on your way.
Anyway sorry bout the long post just thought I'd get your opinions on the idea of birfield rings and warn hub fuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: warn hub fuses and birfield rings

Well, I didnt have spidertrax rings, I had breeze, but I popped both front birfs, and snapped my right front axle, if for anygood reason of having the ring(my experiance only) it kept the joint from totally exploding, which didnt effect my steering.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have two sets of Warn hub fuses, and I'm skeert to use them.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

First, I need to find what the force would be that would break a Sammy front axle or a Kick CV. Is it more or less than the fuse? I dunno.

Second, I read a story in the rags about them. They had them in a locked axle. When the fuse went, it took out the locker and carrier. OUCH! Of course, my GV is unlocked now, so it shouldn't be a problem. But I'm putting in an air locker this winter, so the parameters would change again.

WHat do you think, should I experiment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

Buy a set of Trail Tough's Double Tough front axles and let your front driveline U-joint become the fuse. Drivelines are cheap, and easy to change in the field.

(Shamless plug for Brent of Trail Tough who seems to only sell stuff that works good for him first, then he dares us to try and destroy it. Which is OK with me.)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TO: Yankee, The problem of braking lockers applies to detroits. I have never heard of an ARB breaking on those conditions. What happens is when an axle breaks it is under a hell of alot of load, when it breaks it transfers all of that power to the opposite side coupler, and it is that coupler that breaks. ARB lockers have coventional side/spider gears, so there are no toothed side couplers. I have seen the detroits break a number of times in competitions.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Cool, that's what I got from that article too. Seems that the problem was with the automatic-style lockers.

Fu(k it, i have 3 sets of the dumb things and an open diff in my GV for now. I'll throw them in for Zookin' and see what "gives".

Ohhhh, bad omen.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Those Double Tought axles are a great idea, but too rich for my liking. And I saw Tim Porter break one of those too.

For that much flow, I'd go with a Suzana or Sidewinder axle for a Sammy (which I'm doing).

But the Kicks and GV's is where I'm most concerned. Each front axle has 2 birfs!

I'll try the fuses.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Tim,

I saw somewhere, somebody that's making Kick axles that are 40% stronger than the 26-spline factory units (Is that G-Man Manufacturing?). I wonder if that would help???

Bob
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Let me know how they do on the GV I wanna put theem on the samurai, but I'l let you experiment first. 8^)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 12:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That was Mike Hagen. Cool dude. He grafted Nissan Maxima axles into the Kicks. Cut and welded, total fabbed stuff. Problem here is that they become like the TT double tought axles. Very expensive and NO ONE has a spare for sale at the Melt.

I'm going with the Autozone CV axles. $80 gets me a virtual "no-questions asked" lifetime warranty. It's not questions asked because you just gotta love dumb kids who don't care if the core is good or why the return failed.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hopefully the fuses work well, if not, I'll let the CV be the "fuse".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode