signs of a broken birfield - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

signs of a broken birfield

went wheeling after i got my spoa done with my 33's and 4.16 case. Got out on the rocks and heard a little popping sounds backed off the obstacle tried it again and I heard a whole lot of grinding. Kinda like a stripped out ratchet. Pulled the hub out and it was ok. Gonna fix it tommorow maybe. Thought I'd ask if you all thought it sounded like a broken axle or a broken birf. I can turn the hub and have it move the drive shaft some so I'm guessing a birfield? Never had to deal with that yet so I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:25 PM
mikrosilakhan

Re: signs of a broken birfield

Yea i broke 2 and all it acted liek was the front end wetn open. the one side would just spin free and get no power to it. Both Birfs had a crack in them. Im assuming you must be locked up front? Otherwise i dont think you can realy break them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

No thats what I thought to. It's really weird I';ll explain a little further. I can drive down the road with it 4wd. I won't really hear anythin other then an occasional pop. As soon as I go to put the rig up against an obstacle particlulaly the right front tire all I hear is that striped out ratcheting sound. and yeah it is basiclly just two wheel drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:37 PM
mikrosilakhan

ew...hey are you locked up front?? If not better have a buddy whatch under your rig while you do that and make sure your front output gears arent stripped! Best of luck.. Anyway like i said if you are locked up front and one tire wont go, thats the one thats broke.
If your front driveshaft isnt turning when you hear that, uh oh [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
If your open in the front... hats off to ya for breakin a birf lol. But if you jack up the front you can spinone tire while a buddy hold the other.. when my birfs were cracked you could hear wich side was grinding, just like a ratchet liek you said.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:47 PM
graydiger

Can you tell what side it's coming from? I blew the spider gears on the old family car and it would lock in and out making lots of noise, Also do you have enough spline on your drive line through the slip yoke? Maybe it stripped? Just a couple of thoughts.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Pooh-Bah

Your Birfield most likley popped, and when it did you stripped the splines on the axle. That would be my guess.

wana see, I could show ya mine if I take a pic [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm not locked, and the x-fer doesn't have a 100 miles on it yet it's from Trail Tough new 4.16 case. The funny thing is I wasn't even doing anything hard really, nothing major the tire wasn't stuffed to bad.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Pooh-Bah

>>As soon as I go to put the rig up against an obstacle particlulaly the right front tire all I hear is that striped out ratcheting sound. and yeah it is basiclly just two wheel drive. >>

Since you are not locked, the torque transfer in the fron is going to take the path of least resistance, which is your birf if it popped

>>I can turn the hub and have it move the drive shaft some <<

there will still be enough grip for it to spin by hand(if it didnt totally explode, which it doesnt sound like), but under any amount of torque the splines will try to spin the birf, and the birf will expand open where the cracks are, and you'll get the ratcheting sound of spline against spline.

Still my guess [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys I appreciate all the responses. I was kinda thinkin it was the birf my self. I've never pulled front axles are they very difficult I have the chiltons manual and I'm just gonne pull the spare out of the parts rig tomorrow.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 07:32 PM

Here's how I pulled the shafts from my spare axle.

1. pull the calipers (2 bolts) and tie it out of the way, also take the rotor off.

2. pull the outer portion of the hub (6 bolts)

3. remove the snap ring from the end of the outer axle shaft

4. remove the 8 bolts on the backside of the knuckle for the knuckle seals

5. remove the upper and lower kingpin (4 bolts each) make sure not to mess up the metal shims

6. pull the whole knuckle assembly (be ready for a lot of grease to come out)

7. pull the axle shaft itself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode