On to the next controversy-welded diffs revisited! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

On to the next controversy-welded diffs revisited!

OK we have had this argument about the welded diffs a thousand times....everbody has their own opinion about it. I personally have had good experience with them in the past.
I am getting ready to fix the rearend of my Zook, while I have it out, I'm gonna' lock it. I have no money so that means no locker!(unless someone has one they want to donate for some stress testing.....I didn't think so!![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img])
What I am getting to is....who has poured lead in their diff??
I really worry about heating all the diff parts enough to weld it.
Lead would get it hot....but not nearly as hot. Also, the lead is soft, and would absorb some(yeah, I know very little!) of the torsional shock, and maybe save my axles.
I will now put on my flame retardent suit, and wait for the argument to begin.....'cause we gotta' argue about it[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Wyld_Bill

Re: On to the next controversy-welded diffs revisited!

The diff. carrier in a Zook is so tiny that I think lead would be a good thing to try. I tried welding two Zook diffs. up & it was a PITA!! The weld splatter beads get in the axle spline area so the axles shaft won't go back in without a BFH, You can't get in there to get a good weld on the spider gears, you overheat the carrier & if you leave them on..the bearings,etc.etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

WELDING YOUR DIFF'S! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT FLUFFIN MIND WOULD WELD THEIR DIFF'S? I SUPPOSE YOUR GONNA DO THE FRONT TOO YA JACKA$$....LOL
Actually, Tim T. (NCO) said something in one of his post's about welding every other tooth in his rear. You might give him a shout and see what he says about it. I forgot to mention that when I was talking to you on the phone earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:23 PM
mikrosilakhan

Re: On to the next controversy-welded diffs revisi

3 of us are running front and rear welded, as is JIm "gotzook" Kerry and Karl never a problem.

My buddies first attempt he went cheesey on the welding and it just ate the weld up once but he did such a poor job it went right back to open diff haha. Anyway try using a wire welder if avalible to get to the rear side of the gears OR make a spool outa them instead. Obviously the heat issue is overrated or everyones would be grnading and welding wouldnt even exist. I just did one spot at a time and let it cool off for awhile. The 17 MM nits that hold your break drums on are perfect for dropping down into the spiders
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:46 PM
bulldogzook

OK pureevil71, So now your resorting to name calling and no pun intended MUDSLINGING!!! BOB is not a jacka$$ AND THE jACKA$$'s OF THE WORLD TAKE OFFENCE TO THAT. [SMILE] And I for one have the front welded and don't have any problem's with it. So go ahead and weld the fire out of it bob!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Bulldog, don't make me come down there and hurt you.....lol
I'm welded front and rear too silly a$$...that's why I said that.....Boy, what am I going to do with you!!!
No pizza for you!!!
Oh, BTW...tell the wife I said hello!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 07:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

*snip*
AND THE jACKA$$'s OF THE WORLD TAKE OFFENCE TO THAT.

ummm humm, now i know what ya think of me. truth be known now. yup. geeze, thanks. both of yins make me feel special, im tellin ya.

Bob, ive welded em up before, and ive seen em come apart. IIIIFFFFFFFF welded as "properly" as can be done, it will hold forever and a day, but if not, your worse fubar than my truck. for cheap traction, you WONT beat it.
BiLLy bOb
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 07:52 PM
mikrosilakhan

Lets for the record also state and ask ourselves
How many post do you read about weld comingt apart?
and
How many post do we see each week about "LOCKER PROBLEMS HELP!"
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mikro, ill agree with that one man. if i ever lock up mine, im getting a locker and shimming it out to make a posi. then if i ever wants ta sell it, i still can.
BiLLy bOb
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Can't Get Enough

I am running Lockrites in the back of both of mine, but I got a welded rear diff from <font color=green>dparker</font color=green> that was also poured with aluminum. I put it in the rear of my brothers Zuk and it works greatand handles better than a locker. It does not have the engagement and popping of a locker, but it does chirp the tires when turning on hard surfaces even at slow speeds. Most of his driving is offroad and it does fine. I think HOW a diff is welded determines if it holds up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode