want some quiet tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

want some quiet tires

i know everyone will have their tire of choice.
but mine is a daily driver and i currently have GROUND HAWGGS and love them but they are too load on the street mu wife can hear me coming do the street about 1/4 mile away.air pressure does change the pitch some i have had several hearing test done a work and have had no change in 2 years but since i got the zuk with these tires i have lost some high freq. hearing and dont want to loose anymore. getting old is hell but i would like to slow it down as much as poss. i have another set of rims so i guess i could run one set on the road and change for the trials. it would work but what if i'm out and a buddy calls and he is stuck then i have to decide to help first or go home to change tires. all sujestions would be great.
what i have is
GROUND HAWGGS
33 X 12.5 X 15 about 85 to 90% left
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850419-GAZUKI REAR2.jpg (28.6 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: want some quiet tires

I run a set of 32~11/50 Super Swamper TSL SX's that I had SIPED at Discount Tire ($10.00 each) This not only Quites the tire it also enhances the traction both on and off road!!!
Mine sound and handle on road more like a street tire then a LUGED one!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 09:16 AM

My '86 hardtop is my only vehicle and daily driver when I am not walking. I have got Hi-Tec AT retreads on Micheliln casings. They are just a bit louder than the street treads that came on my Samurai. And they cost me about 200+ dollars including shipping for 5. See attached picture of the tread on 30-9.50x15.

http://www.hi-tec-retreading.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850453-tread of spare.jpg (33.2 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 09:47 AM

I have slight tinitus so I feel for you Charles. Too many years of driving loud vehicles. I dont have a recomendation (yet) for tires, but you may want to have 2 sets, 1 for DD and 1 for trails. I have been trying to pay attention to how some of the differnet tires soung during commutes. With my stop and go traffic, its not unreasonable to spot a quieter tire. Probably one of the rfew positives on commuter traffic!

I have also taken to wearing earplugs when commuting or for long trips. I have 30 min minimum each way and my ear plugs are of the type that allow for normal sound, but cut back on the higher Dbs. Full ear plugs are illegal most, if not all places.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ill trade you my street tires...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 06:10 PM

Earplugs are a really good idea. I use 'em on my motorcycle commute to work (67 miles one way). My ears don't ring when I get to where I am going and that don't ring (as bad) when I lay down to sleep at night. (I have tinnitus myself.) I just use the inexpensive foam type that you roll and let expand in your ear. I can hear everything I need to with the plugs in, except quiet conversation.

Brian
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 07:38 PM
zukiman

I have been exceptionally pleased with my Swamper SSR tires, 33x14.50. Not only are they very quiet on the highway, but they're extremely good off-road. They've held up to 2 years of trail abuse and over 12,000 miles on the highway, and only upon close inspection can I see any sign of treadwear. There are some cuts in the tread from rocks due to how soft the rubber is, but they haven't hurt the tires' traction or durability in any way. The soft rubber compound is what gives them exceptional grip, and since they're so comfortable on the street, I have a hard time recommending any other tire to anyone, except maybe a Bogger to a dedicated mudder. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with the SSR (despite what the guys at Pirate4x4 think).

-- Geoff Beasley
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 08:08 PM
CSR

I had 32" Swamper SX's, at street pressure you couldn't hear them. I swapped to 33" Goodyear MT/R's and was really suprised, they make much more noise on the street. But I don't care, my Zuk is not a daily driver.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Wyld_Bill

I love the loud howling tires. Puts me at ease.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:14 PM

I can't hear my AT's over the whining tranny, 2" exhaust, and noisy rear axle..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode