whats grabbable from 85 s15 *4x4, 2.8,* - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

whats grabbable from 85 s15 *4x4, 2.8,*

k, gotta a buddy who has a s15 with a screwed up tranny, and he wants to get rid of it. i know that the trannys on those usually go out. so thats outta the question, but, the 2.8 is good, im gonna go take a good look at it tomorrow, i dont know what xfer case is in there, but i wanted to know what could be used in the zuki...

i think that zukjr? did the 2.8 swap, and its teh same engine. got that right up braw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 06:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: whats grabbable from 85 s15 *4x4, 2.8,*

Take a look at the power steering, I know the s10 boxes would work on a sami.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

cool thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:19 PM

I think zuk JR got his motor from a s-10 and the x-fer was from a jeep cherokee or wagoneer or something like that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

nah, he got teh tranny and engine from teh jeep, still wondering bout the dana 300.

tranny is a t5, but it still is not working.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 2.8 gm and jeep are interchangable i think.... so you could use a jeep tranny behind the gm engine
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 03:16 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">A 1985 GMC S15 4x4 should have:
NP207 T-case, I believe this has around 2.7:1 low range. A little tag on the back will tell exact low range ratio. High range is 1:1.
T-4, or T-5 transmission (non-World Class), this transmission as your buddy figured out, isn't the greatest... If it's an auto transmission, it'd be a 200r4 or 700r4 with GM 60 degree bolt pattern. A couple years of Jeep Cherokee used the GM 2.8L V6, and to my knowledge you could get a transmission with a Dana 300 attached, (or should be able to adapt it up fairly easily). The transmission in the Jeeps If I recall correctly from Jeep Midsize forum is a bit more desirable than the GM version. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Rear diff will be GM's 7.5" 10 bolt. A decent axle, steer clear of it if it's got a code of "Locker" or "G-80" in the glovebox. Those things are notorious for destroying themselves. Is known as the Gov-Lock... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I've had one go out on me, nearly grenading itself, and the one in my 92 GM fullsize 3/4 HD isn't acting like it's long for this world either... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

As was mentioned, steering components are good, might require a little bit of work to swap 'em in there, but they're good solid units.

That's probably about all you'd want out of the S truck except for maybe seats (if you like 'em), and things like that...

Some will tell you that the 2.8L is under powered in the S series, I don't see that being an issue in a lighter vehicle such as Zuk's. I personally didn't have a problem with mine at all in my S series p/u of the same vintage, although once 2nd gear went out in the transmission it got a little more sluggish having to go from 1st to 3rd when taking off. Although it did do respectably still... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Carbuerator should be Rochester Vari-Jet (or Vari-Jet II). This carbuerator is desirable due to it's ability to run at steep angles and not flood out, also higher speed whoops, etc don't seem to affect it. It can be a pain in the backside to adjust, but once it's dialed in it should be just fine. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

That's about all I can think of at the moment...</font>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey thx sandman!

we agreed that wed keep it at his place, and wed work on it there, gettin the engine and whatever else i need out of it, and rebuild them. Its a t5, and i thought those were pretty good? hhmm, is np207 pretty desirable? dont some yjs have em?

thx again
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 03:13 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">There were two seperate versions of the T5... World class (that went into rustangs, and I believe some firebird/camaros) and non world class ( S series got these)... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] W.C. version had better synchros and bearings if I recall... I've never experienced one, but they're the more desirable of the two tranny's...

NP207 is, for the most part, a good case. I've not experienced problems with mine. Shifts well still, etc. I tend to run synthetic ATF in there (Mobil 1), with good results... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I believe early YJ's may have had the NP207. In the later 80's GM switched to the NP231. Basically an upgraded version of the 207. Both are chain drive. I don't recall what the NP231 has that the 207 doesn't... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It's not a bad case, haven't heard any problems with 'em in S series or Jeeps, and of course should see less problems with 'em in Zuk's due to reduced weight... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 07:41 PM

As the Sandman pointed to, the NP T-cases are tried, tested, and true units. The only thing you may be looking into is whether or not you ever plan on swapping axles out in the future. From what I've seen, most of the NP cases are driver's drop, with the exception of the NP241 found in (89?) 90-91 Ful-Size Blazer's, Jimmy's and pickups. I have the pass. drop NP241 (still putting it in the rig with a 700R4 and 4.3L Vortec) and from everything I've read, these units are strong. However, they are chain driven.
I haven't heard to many bad things about the T5 but if it makes you nervous, look at the NV3500 or even the NV4500. OK, the 4500 weighs in at around 200 lbs but is bulletproof! And expensive ;-) The 3500 is cheaper, not as strong (but still VERY strong; used behind pickups, etc...) and can be easily found. Look at the auto's too (a 700R4 from a LATER model) but stay away from early 700R4's. Not very reliable. If you get a later one, you could mate up either a 231 or a 241, what ever you need. I've heard you could even mate the D300 but to do so, requires shortening of the output shaft and resplining it. Probably too much work.
Good luck with it! GM makes some great products :-)

Cheers!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode