Help! Ujoints go loose then tight then loose again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help! Ujoints go loose then tight then loose again

I was just checking my driveshaft U-joints the other day, and saw that one of the rear ones was getting loose. I checked after hearing the preverbial drivetrain slapping sound while driving the other day. Thing is I got under the truck today to change them out and found them nice and tight. I rotated the shafts and wiggled from all direction and they were still tight. This has been happening over the last 2 years or so, where it'll go loose then get tight again, only to go loose again. The rest of the shaft is tight, cause I keep the splines packed with grease, all the T-case and Tranny mounts are in good shape. It's only the rear shaft that's doing this. What could it be? I have enough spare U-joints to replace the whole D-train but don't want to replace them if it's something else. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:49 PM

Re: Help! Ujoints go loose then tight then loose again

i have had ones thatseemed tight that were bad had ones that were so bad i cant believe that they got that bad and i couldnt tell one had no needle bearings was wore into the cap and was about 1/8 inch into the x of the joint but this was one on the intermediat shaft and there was still verry little vibration from it
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:58 PM

They sound shot, and in the process of grinding themselves to pieces. Dismount the DS and rotate the Joints around by hand. You will probably have crud falling out of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 12:07 AM
Pooh-Bah

Are you far from Trailtough?! or some other vendor in that area? maybe there is a way you could swing by there and have them at least visually check it to see and get an opinion ?!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 08:39 AM
Addict

I agree w/ outlawmws. A high spot is usually a sure sign of a bad bearing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input guys, it prolly is a really bad joint, guess I should replace it like planned. I would like to go down to Trail Tough, but for now I'm still in Hawaii on my Summer break, and so is my Zuk, until early Sept. I plan on going down there to pick up one of Brents 4.16 T-cases in the Fall. Once again thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Have you been careful in rematching the rear driveshaft pieces when you reassemble them?

They get pretty noisy and screw up the u-joints if they are not properly reassembled.

You can tell if they are properly assembled if the u-joint yokes are exactly aligned to each other.

If you disassemble the axle at the splines, you'll notice a dimple on the end of the spline piece and a corresponding dimple on the socket piece just off the edge of the rubber boot. You may need to clean both pieces to see them. If you reassemble the axle with both dimples aligned to each other, all related vibrations will go away (and your u-joints will last longer) I have a short (but rather large) windows media video online at the website at the bottom of this message that describes it better.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, It wasn't the splines being misaligned that caused the T-case side Ujoint to go bad. I checked that when I pulled the Shaft. I'm perplexed at how the joint didn't grenade on me though. It was fine exept for one of the bearing caps, which is so shot that I can't press the other one one out because it just compresses into the U-joint spider and bottoms out. I'm basically having trouble getting the bearing races out. I've done other d-shafts before with just a socket and a hammer, but that isn't working. Anybody have any tricks to getting these things out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode