Disco. axles and Super Swamper Questions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Disco. axles and Super Swamper Questions...

Anyone ever ponder stuffing a set of Discovery axles under their Zuk? he reason I'm asking is I found a set for $750.00 complete. I didn't look them over too closely but I did notice that they have the correct offset differential.

I also found a set of 31/10.5/15 Super Swampers on Black, Chevy, Rock Crawlers. The rims are new, 2 tires are about 65%, 2 are about 40%. The tires are radials. The guy wanted $200.00 for the tires and rims. I figured I could get something (maybe $100.00) for the rims since they're still clean and virtually new. What'cha all think of the tire deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Disco. axles and Super Swamper Questions...

I love my swampers and they are that size. They seem to work pretty well!
I paid $300 for a set of new ones if that helps you compare a little.
BTW....that was just for the tires.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:34 PM

Disco axles should be 56" flange to flange, 3.54:1 R&P's, FULL TIME hubs, and have CV's inside those swivel balls.

only problem is likely to be axle ratios - only 3.54, and 4.70 were stock in rovers from 1949 - current, adn aftermarket gears, and lockers are 'pricey'. FWIW, series Rover axles are the EXACT same thing, except that they have UJ's in place ot the CV's, and disconnect hubs...Series 3 axles go for ~$200 Canadian, complete....

Incidentally, if you check my 'what should I build now' thread, I'd mentioned using a set of older 4.70:1 geared Rover axles in there.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off, FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE. I am Assuming you are in the US. I see a few problems. #1 parts are expensive new and not readily availiable used. Wheels are a problem, if it is a early disco (early 99 or older) it uses a really big 5 lug pattern so you have to pay big money for wheels from a shop the imports them from the UK. If it is a series 2 disco (Late 99 or newer) It has a smaller 5 lug pattern, I have heard of guys running chevy 5x4.75 (or 5x5, I don't remember which, but it is whatever comes on camaros) wheels, but the bolt circle is off by about 5mm, so your lug nuts do not seat correctly. Also, the Series 2 uses a really funky rubber thing in place of the Drive shaft u-joints, not sure how you would get around that.
The nice things about them is that they come with front and rear discs, and the pinion is really high up.
The other thing to concider, is that $750 for a pair af axles is not exactly a steal. Ithink you could get something a little more mainstream for less than that.
FYI Series 1 are 58.5" wide and Series 2 axles are 60.6 front, 61.4 rear.
Series 2 has 3.54 gears
I will try to look up the series 1 ratio (I work at a Land Rover dealership)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:08 PM

If you are interested in doing a axle swap I think those axles are fairly pricy. You should be able to pick up a set of yota's for prolly half that and parts are cheaper and more readily available. Just my .02
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 11:16 PM

ummm - are you talking series 1/series 2 diso, or 'Series' Land rover??

I have early series 1 (as in pre 1950) , late series 1 ( 1952) and series 2A axles here right now - all are 5 on 6.5" lugs pattern, with 4.70 diffs. STEEL wheels for the early discos are the same as series wheels - $30 Canadian a rim, maximum. late series 3 ( V8's) had the 3.54 gear ratio with the older type axle spline count. Defender type axles have the 3.54 gears, and the higher spline count, same as Discos, and Range Rovers.

early series 1 track width is 50", late seris 1, series 2, and series 3 Land Rover axles are 52" track width. with the only exceptions being Military 101" wheelbase models.

not so incidentally, Rovers are dirt cheap up in Canada - so if you really want parts, try cross border shopping.

Chris
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think any one mentioned "series" axles, all of the discsion has been about disco axles. If you live in the UK or maybe Canada, Land Rover axles may be a good way to go, but here they are the forgoten stepchild. As far as wheels go, those series wheels would work great, as long as you are planing on using 7.00x16 tires
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 11:41 AM

what fits..hmm. 215/85R16, 235/85/R16, 6.50/16, 700X16, 7.50/16 - hell, I've even got 900X16's that are legal on a 5.5" wide series rim ( made in the USA by TBC, actually, so dont tell me you cant get them) also, Stockton wheel, for example, can take a series Rover center, and fit it to a ford 15", or 16" shell for ~ $80 per wheel, and width you want.

'I' brought up series axles as being relevant to another post, as I'm in the process of building this exact setup with series rover axles. If you work at a dealership, you SHOULD know that with the exception of the tube widths, the series axles, and Disco axles are cross compatible...to the degree that bearings, and even the seal for the steering ball fits my series 1 axles. Dealers being dealers, I dont imagine your manuals, or parts supply cover that though. West Coast British, and Rovers North are 2 BIG independent shops in the US, and have prices comparable to Canada on parts ( there's a lot of cross border trade in used rover parts, just not through dealerships)

Also, you might consider trying to read the posts in threaded mode....the series axle post was made BEFORE your reference to 'series 1/series 2' axles.' which is VERY confusing if the reader doesnt know there are series rovers, adn that MK1, MK2 Discos are also often referred to that way.. Call up a dealership, and ask for a third member parts for a series 1, and I gurantee they wont think you're talking about a discovery. I find it funny how LR factory service manuals refere to them as MK1, and MK2 discos,and specifically DONT call them 'series 1/series 2disco's to avaoid the sort of confusion going on here - what dealership is it you work at, and what exactly do you do there?

here's mine, BTW

got a pic of yours?
c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850540-rover1.jpg (23.4 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 01:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

GEEEEEZ, it wasn't a personal attack. As far as the "series"
axle goes, you are the ONLY one who keeps bringing them up. The origonal post asked about disco axles specificly. As far as wheels go, you pretty much backed up what I said, $320 on top of $200 for regular wheels does not sound like such a good deal to me. You could buy a nice set of steel beadlocks for that. And if you are going throught the trouble of swapping in stronger axles, you are probably planing on running bigger tires than the sizes you listed for 5.5" wide wheels. I don't know or care about what the factory service books say because I am not in parts, I am in sales. By the way, I thought I made it VERY clear that I was talking about series 1 and series 2 DISCOVERIES, I even went so far as to include year referancees for those that are not familiar with Land Rovers. And although Land Rover calls them MK1 and MK2, they put Series 2 badges on the late 99 and latter discos. If you send someone to a junk yard looking for a MK2 Discovery axle, they probably won't have much luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode