Interesting...fender flare info....hmmmm - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Interesting...fender flare info....hmmmm

Well, went to a local 4x4 shop that's pretty well known and had a chat with one of the owners. He's also a Samuari guy and after going through the usual, I asked if they sold any fender flares for the Zuk's. He replied that only Calmini had them. But I did remember seeing a Bushwacker sticker in their store (?) and asked about them. He assured me that Bushwacker has no part # for the Samurai's and that the two larger Zuk vendor's (no names here) that sell the same flares are actually Bushwacker Jeep flares made to fit our Zuk's! Is that right? Wonder how much the Jeep ones cost...
He had the Calmini's on his ride and they looked really tough! I know, I know, I've heard the stories of them shattering so I can't comment but they looked alright. Only problem was the price! Yikes!
Might do something else though: saw in the Princess Auto catalogue that they sell trailer flares that are 9 inches wide, made of steel for only $20 Canadian each! And they come in the round curved style or the boxy-Jeep style. I'll see how they turn out and let you all know.

Cheers!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:21 AM

Re: Interesting...fender flare info....hmmmm

RRO and TT are a couple of venders that have worked out a "deal" with bushwhacker to get two sets of rear TJ or YJ flares to be used for samurai's, they do need a little modification to make them fit on a samurai, but it is not bad.. TT will cut to fit them for your rig and RRO leaves the custom cut to fit all to you to do.. so it depends on you, whether you want to do the cutting or have someone else do it..
I see pros and cons to both sides of that coin...

if you try to get bushwhacker flares you will end up getting a full set of Jeep flares (two rear and two front). which will be more expensive than just getting the flares from TT or RRO...

but how wide of a flare do you need?
will 6 inches be too much?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:07 AM

Trail Tough has a jig set up to trim the flares. Trail Tough always does very good work. Great people to work with. I have only got straight talk from Brent and Linda. From now on I will always check with Trail Tough first on any Samurai questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Indeed, TT is great. I've purchased items from them in the past and have had great service. NO complaints. And I figured it would be cheaper to just get them, from them, instead of buying the Jeep ones myself. Jeep parts are a rip!
The 6 inches would be more than enough, at least for now, but if I can get the metal ones for so much less, I will. Who wouldn't?

Cheers!
Steve
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 03:21 PM

Steve - I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the Princess Auto fenders will only cover a 32" (actual) diamter tire. *** this is an actual radiused flare though, so if the tires move fore/aft under articulation, you might find that in 'real world' driving they'd only be good for up to 30" tires. (I'd looked at them for the Niva, and decided they werent quite big enough to make it worth the hassle of welding them to my bodywork)

if you happen to know anyone who deals in medium, or heavy duty trucks though, I bet there are similar fenders for big trucks/trailers that would be equally suitable.

chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 07:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

***<font color=red>saw in the Princess Auto catalogue that they sell trailer flares that are 9 inches wide, made of steel for only $20 Canadian each<font color=black>***

They're on sale as of the 6th for $9.99....

I might just buy some and see if I can make them "quick attach" some how.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 07:48 PM
zukiman

Trail Tough and Rocky Road are both great companies from whom I have been a repeat customer for several years. The flares they sell are Bushwacker flares that were originally designed for the rear of a Wrangler, but which do have their own part number as Samurai flares. When I got mine from Rocky Road, they had a Bushwacker part number on the box and were stated to be for the Suzuki Samurai.

I'm not too happy with Bushwacker's choice of mounting hardware. They're more than adequate for a street rig, but one that sees trail abuse needs a tougher mounting system. I just got finished remounting mine with some heavier duty hardware, and we'll see how they hold up at Suzuki's on the Rocks. Keep in mind, though, that I'm exceptionally rough on my Zuk, so these flares have been really abused on rocks, trees, etc. They're scratched and gouged to hell, but they haven't torn or shattered like the Calmini flares do. These were designed for trail abuse, it's just the mounting hardware that's inadequate.

The flares are expensive, but they look great, work very well, and in my opinion are worth the price. If I ever lift my second Samurai, I'll definitely buy another set of these flares for it.

-- Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: www.Off-Road.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello,

I just wanted to let you guys know we have started making flares @ www.zukboys.com, currently on ebay in case you haven't seen them yet. We will also be offering them in clear polycabonate so they can be painted to match your zuk. They are not as wide as the TT's or BW's, we designed them so they will fit nicey with existing trim with a couple of inches more than the stock ones(they can also be left untrimmed to fit custom rides). We also left "8"material on the inside so it ends up looking very clean+reduces a little drag. They work and look great, if your Zuk is rusted around that area, it's an easy quick solution with minimal body work involved.
(they cover 33's nicely)

Just tryin to keep'em movin.

Cheers

Zukboys
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:21 PM
pugrocker

I am waiting for mine to arrive - once I get them and install 'em I will put up some pics and feedback.......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:50 PM

so how did you re-mount them to be tougher mounted?

please let us or me know how you did this,,,,,
and some pictures....

I have already had the pleasure of ripping one of the bolts when I hit a good size rock and smashed the flare, but the flare bounced right back no problems there...
those are awesome flares.... that is all I can say,, no more rocks flying at me and mud all over me... wahoo...

by the way thanks in advance Geoff, for answering my question above and supplying pictures of what you did..
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode