Whats the dumbest thing you have done to get stuck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Whats the dumbest thing you have done to get stuck

This thread should bring out some good stories from this crowd!

For me it was listening to a freind. I had given Dan a fairly hard time about his getting stuck in Mt Shasta "sand" (which is really pumice) and taking most of 2 days to get out. This stuff is nasty and is as close to dry quicksand as it gets. His revenge was to tell me about a place he wanted to show me, and to direct me into a place where the road made a turn around into a deep layer of it. I felt the tires digging in and tried to keep em going, but no go. Down to the axles. In a 2WD ford truck.

He's laughing his butt off and I realize were in deep! He crows about how now I can show him how its done, since I'm so smart... Well I had a hylift and some plywood in the back and proceed to jack, fill, cover and ramp the pumice as best I can. Forward a foot or so and back in. Do it again, and again, and again, and again, I had got about 12-15 feet and was about 8 feet away from more solid ground, when another truck comes by. 4x4 and a huge winch. Pulled me out right away. All in all less than 2 hours to get out.

What was really funny was Dan offered to go get his truck and pull me out, and he realizes hes out of gas, ran out pulling into camp. He'll have to haul gas from my stuck truck, and in what? No can. You shoulda seen his face! So this truck showing up saved his tail too!

That wasn't the last time for us to get stuck in this stuff, and it will probably happen again, but was the funniest and worst, at least for me. Dan stll holds the record...[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 02:41 PM

Re: Whats the dumbest thing you have done to get stuck

I went wheeling with another samurai and an old Willey's Jeep.We decided to take a short cut back which took us through a orange grove which had been plowed into a hole, burnt, and covered with sand. I was in the lead and I felt a sudden drop. Suddenly I was resting on my frame on the trunk of an old orange tree. It took the Willis Jeep hooked to my Samurai and the other Suzuki was hooked to the front of the Jeep. It took about an hour to get me out. It was like trying to climb rocks which were buried in ash.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 03:01 PM

Re: Whats the dumbest thing you have done to get s

Oh my...

Well, about ten years ago I was wheeling my '77 CJ. We were traveling from San Marcos CA to Escondido using nothing but firetrails and SDGE maintainence rodas. There were two of us in a single vehicle and it started as just having some fun getting the Jeep dirty. We had covered maybe some 15 miles in the dirt adn all was going well, then the sun went down. I usually don't put to much worry into driving at night, 'cept when I am the only vehicle.

I had ridden teh same trails on my enduro only a few years before so I knew pretty well where we would finally find pavement. Everything as planned, not a single problem until we discovered that the path had been altered and what was was once a striaght line downhil trail and been change into a switchback. Well, we did not noptice the switch back and stayed on the original path.

Then next thing we new we were falling through the air (the face of the cut away was 10 feet)! Thank goodnes for real restraints (and dumb luck that we came back to rest on the back wheels and not forward onto the roll cage), cause we stopped when the bumper gouged into the ground in front of us. Both motor-mounts let go and the tranny mount stretched to its very limit, the fan ate through the first three cores of the radiator.

For all this, we were able to dig out a hole in front of the Jeep and actually got back onto the wheels. With no radiator we made it to the highway, and then all the way (12 highway miles) back to my home stopping every mile or so for water and to let it cool down.

Now onto the moral of the story: When off roading trails that you are not familiar with, take your time and scout ahead on foot if you have any question of the terrain ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was out playing in a construction site in my sami, we followed a creek down to where they had built an earth dam to create a catch basin. There wasn't much water but lots of saturated sand/mud. We started playing at the edges and just barely getting out. That wasn't good enough for me, so I drove across the top of the dam to get a good line into the deepest part. I drove down the face of the dam, and as soon as I got my whole truck into the mud, I stoped, sunk up to the rocker panels. I think the only thing stoping me from sinking further was my sami was just floating on the mud. Now I had to figure out how to unstick the thing. problem is I had about 40 feet to go before I hit dry ground and anyone pulling me would be driving up a muddy hill while they pulled me. No one that was with me could get across the dam to pull me backwards. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I ended up taking a friends truck home (about 5 miles), exchanged it for my winch equiped 4runner, brought that out and after chaining it to another truck, pulled it through (not over) 40 feet of quicksand mud.

I have another one, but I will wait till I can scan the pic that goes with it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:00 PM

Lets just say it involved driving to far out on a sand bar in the Chesapeake Bay. Couldn't get pulled out until low tide. It took two jeeps and two boats to get it free. Its something I'v been trying to forget for years.
Lets never speak of it again[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:37 PM

hey I heard one time about a person who drove too far out on a sand bar in Chesapeake Bay and it took something like 2 jeeps and 2 boats to get him out.... LOL just pulling your leg, givin you a hard time....

Yes I rember bragin how awesome my stock samurai did in the snow and to prove it I went accross this, what I thought was a level field and was cruising along, then all of a sudden the whole front end nosedived and was totally buried in the snow...

that straight level field was not so,,, it had this huge dip in it and it was filled with snow from drifts... luck would have it that I drove straight into the dip....

took a while to get out and then get all the snow out of the engine compartment...
what was really funny was the look of my wife's face when it happened....

oh well we all make fools of ourselves...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:34 PM

This story is not the dumbest but it is the funniest stuck story I have been involved in.
I was out with a friend in the Richloam area running our Broncos through some mud. My friend was in the lead and decided to follow some trucks that were raised a little higher than our trucks. We were both running 33's and their 44's made ours look like a bunch of Krispy Kreme donuts. Well thee trucks were trying to loose us in the mud and took us through a river (Little Withlacoche I think) and the truck ahead of my buddies Bronco really laid into the pedal and sent water and mud flying as his rear end started to sink.He backed off and shifted into 4 low and pulled out. Dave drove through and radioed me to take the crossing to the right of where he went through because his rear started to slide to the left and he thought that was where the sorse part of the ruts were. I gunned my engine and slipped into the water slightly to the right of where he crossed. I droped into a set of ruts which put my back glass half way under water. Dave stopped and came back when I called him on the radio. he told me to keep the engine slightly reved so the motor would not stall and he would hook up the rope. I looked up to see him dressed down to his fruit of the looms, walking into the water with the end of the tow rope. He connected the rope to the front of my truck and climbed into his truck to pull me out. I was not about to ask why he disrobed.(he was going to pull out my truck). I got out of the hole after a couple of snatches. I opened the door and started rolling up the rope while he got dressed. A truck drove up and looked at the sight and sped off. I ask him why he did what he did and was told that he had not brought a change of clothes and did not want to mess up the only set he had for the evening. (we were camping out that night) ( IN SEPERATE TENTS.)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It was a beautiful sunny morning just after a nightly thunderstorm. Everything was still wet. My mother was planting her garden, and she needed me to haul things back and fourth with the Zuk. Well, I drove into the garden to let her unload some things. I had no idea it was so muddy. I go to pull out in 2wd, no go. No big deal, so I shifted into 4-low. Again, no go. Instead I dug myself a nice hole in thje garden covering my mother with mud. Oops. Well, I fell face first in mud trying to push it out. Took 2 hours to get it out. That I am never doing again! At least until next spring. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:50 PM

Me being the Only guy to go throther wher no bodys has gone before! even a 750hp 460 big block ford with 44 ground hogs could not go.

of course i was pushing a 8 wheel stiger with a loge chain when i did it.

everbody else said they want to be pulled back out .
i said crap no! i want to be pulled through it LOL!!!!
only went ouver the hood with muddy water buy about a foot.
buit buy george i was the only 1 that went THROUGH it!

and then there was this christmas party! noitce thats ICE

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 848433-jan16_02.jpg (57.3 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Whats the dumbest thing you have done to get s

On the north end of the beach out here, we have a log that has washed up. It makes a good flex ramp to play on. Once, right after getting my locker in, I wanted to show off for a buddy and cross it straight over. it was night and I didn't check the back side of the log...while a stranger in a big Bronco looked on, I popped the front wheels up and over the top, they went down the back side, and down, and down...get the pic here? sat right down on the driveshaft, in loose sand...luckily the stranger in the Bronco was a good guy and instead of laughing at my ignorance and driving off, came over and pulled me off the log.
R/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode