sammi newbie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sammi newbie

Hi all,

I just joined this BBS to learn more about these little rigs. I am used to wheeling with full size Toyota Land Cruisers and am considering a new project truck. Debating back and forth between toy mini trucks and sammi's.

The wheelbase of the sammi is MUCH shorter, is it a problem with big ledges and drop-off's?

I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of aftermarket gear. Specifically, transfer case gears - how do you pick one over the other? Welded vs. single piece, 4.16 vs. 5.8 vs 6.0?

How does the light weight of the Sammi really make that much of a difference off-road (I'm used to wheeling a 5000lb. wagon)? Because its light you break fewer parts? Doesn't the light weight mean worse traction?

Anyway, I'm glad to find this forum and all your advice/help!

TIA,
Considering a Sammi in Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:44 PM

Re: sammi newbie

The lighter weight usually means more usable traction. It's not uncomon for these little rigs to go places, easier, than big rigs. Shorter wheel base is usually a plus. ledges and drop offs are all about approach angle, not so much wheel base.

Gearing is determined by tire size, and if its is a trail rig only or not. Define what you want out of it before investing in gears.

Bigest drawback of these little rigs is lack of cargo space. Its not insurmountable, but something to consider while your going through the pro's and cons. Make a list of needs and compare.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:40 PM
mikrosilakhan

lol your so right i have nowere to put my damm spare prts anymore!
Anyway tell us exactly what your plannin on doin as far as wheelin the rig and that will help out.
I have a 4:1 gearset and its plenty low with 31's for dirt trails and light rock crawlin. Even using 5.12 gears now might put me into good rock crawlin.
Samis properly put together are extremely tough. Ive only bust a few things, easily fixable and mostly from extreme stupidity . As far as traction the short wheelbase makes them hook up excellent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Welcome aboard. everyone else has pretty much summed everything else up, so I'll just say hello.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:19 PM
Addict

welcome aboard.....the Sammi is a grate wheeler the short wheelbase is a prob on some larg ledge/ obstical's , then the sammi could use another foot of wheel base.
For the most part the benifit of the short wheelbase and the light weight outways any other short comeings.
i run 4.89's in the t-case and 4.65's in the diff's all seems to work oout grate , u'll love wheelin the sammi!....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:43 PM

im new to the sammy's and i must say i love them. i had a 74 k-5 blazer with a 6 inch lift, 35 inch swampers and a little over 300hp. it had all the goodies and was an awsome truck. even had the 6.55:1 first gear tranny but i have gone places in my sammy with a 5 inch calmini and 31's with stock gears that my blazer would have only dreamed about going. i mean it was a tuff truck but i definetly would have broke something. go with a sammy i garuantee you wont regreat it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm looking for a rock crawling trail-only rig. There is not much mud around here. Its all boulders, ledges, off-camber stuff. I'd like something with good approach/depart angles. Storage is not such a big deal as I have another full size truck for runs that require lots of gear or camping. The sammi would be just for playing around. What kind of stuff are you breaking? I read about popular axle swaps, are you busting birfs or shafts?

Maybe I'd be better off with a mini truck instead since it has better axles already?

I don't want to enter into another money pit for upgrades like my land cruiser so the sammi looks nice since its so cheap. What kind of mods work best for rock crawling?

BTW, I checked out your movies on your web page. You guys are friggin nuts, but sure have a good time!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 02:11 PM

it all depends on your style of drivin if you are a gun ho throttle all the way kind of guy then 33's are your kind of tire if you are a easy kind of guy then 35's are your answer it all depends on the way you drive! Do a SPOA with some YJ home fabbed or not and you got yourself a flexy lil suspension at a rock crawler and some sidekick 5.12 RPs and you got the gearring done all depends on how much money you are willing to spend....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 06:06 PM

Welcome aboard and ditto on everyone else. First question we always ask, What size tires do YOU wan to run, and work backwards from there to lay out the equipment specs needed first. Then figure out which pieces parts should go on first to avoid as much parts swapping later as possible. If we can help with questions or whatever, give us a yell.

TGT - NCO
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 06:33 PM

First off I'd like to say hello and welcome. Second I think if your going to build a rock crawler, plan on swaping axles. I'm heading to Suzukis on the Rocks Wednesday this week and I'll let everyone know if 33" Swamper Thornbirds brake stock axles!!! I saw a few broken stock axles last year and decided then to go with Toyota axles. Now I know some people might disagree with me here but... I think running 33"s requires something with a little more beef than stock zuk axles. Don't get me wrong, I love my pure Suzuki Rockcrawler the way she sits....but I got a Toy rear sittng in the garage waiting for a front to go in. I don't know if my axles will hold up this weekend or not but rest assured you guys will be the first to know about it!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode