Adjusting Valves - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 08:03 AM
bord

Adjusting Valves

The valves on my 87 Samurai have pinged and rattled ever since I bought it about 3 months ago. I don't know much about Zuks yet but how tough of a job is it? I have adjusted valves on a 22re a few times with no troubles. The only thing that has kept me from doing it so far is I read you have to remove the distributor, while doing a search of course? Is there anyway to avoid this? Also, is there a site that shows which valves to adjust at TDC on the intake and exhaust stroke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 08:41 AM

Re: Adjusting Valves

Valves are so easy and NO you do not have to remove the dist. take off your valve cover and Put your number one piston at tdc then do 1 and 2 intake and 1 and 3 exhaust , rotate 360 and do 3 and 4 intake and 2 and 4 exhaust... intake 006 exhaust 007 cold
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 08:59 AM

go here

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/tech/valves.htm>http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/tech/valves.htm</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:42 AM

I had to loosen and rotate my dist, but a prev owner may not have put it is straight. It was not necessary to remove it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:13 PM
Addict

If your valves are pinging and rattling (I would guess this is while accelerating or loading the engine a little) it would indicate to me that your timing is off a little or something else is wrong keeping the engine from regulating its timing - like a vac. leak or bad advance. Valves that sound more like a click during idle would indicate too much valve lash.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:35 PM
bord

The pinging comes under load when accelerating but now that you mention it I do hear a clicking noise at idle. So is it vavles or timing? Anything special you have to do to check the timing? I know on Toys you had to use a jumper wire in one of the connectors or plug the vacumn advance hose.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:49 PM

I didn't notice the pinging comment earlier. If it is pinging under load, you need to retard the timing, or, if it is at spec, get better gas. are you running lo-grade? The taping at an idle would be valve adjust. So it sounds like you need to do both. Pull and plug the vac line when timing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 02:27 PM
bord

When I bought it I started using lo-grade 87 and then when I noticed them pinging I switched to the hi-grade 92 and they're still noisy after about 7 or 8 tanks. I'll check the timing tonight and see if its off. If its not I'll check the clearences. Thanks for the help!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 02:39 PM

If the timing doesn't help it might be carbon deposits in the combustion chambers. The carbon can act as a glow plug and pre-ignite the fuel. Doesn't happen often, but it can.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 03:41 PM

Besure to check that when your #1 cylinder is at TDC that the dist. is pointing to the proper location. The last time I adjusted my valves I found(after a couple of hours of trying to figure out why it opening the wrong valves) that the last time the head was worked on, the dist. was put in 180 degrees off. Called the previous owner to find out why and he said that the local suzuki dealer was the ones that did the work, talk about rying to mess things up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode