SPOA lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

SPOA lift

Thinking about installing Rocky Road Outfitters SPOA equipment to raise Sammy to clear 31 x 10.5 x 15 tires on 8" wheels. Will use 5" SPOA kit, Doetsch Tech shocks, Stage One over the top steering and possibly front upper shock mounts. Anyone have comments about what I am planning to do? Would appreciate any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 06:57 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: SPOA lift

Sounds like a good plan of attack to me, just remember about gearing, since you'll "lose" some due to the larger tires. Easiest thing to compensate for 31's I believe would be a 4.16 gearset. But unless you have a tired engine it wont be "that" bad .. I drove around on 36's with stock gearing for 5 years, it was fine, I just didnt have 5th gear. I did it like that for so long mainly cause I had no clue of the suzuki aftermarket until about 3 years ago
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 07:52 PM
Veteran

I suggest you consider using the lower (4.5") SPOA perches. If you change your springs or shackles, you'll also add lift. Too much lift and those 31's will look small! My .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 08:11 PM

Welcome aboard.

Take a look at our tech section, it should answer a lot of questions you may have in regards to a Samurai SPOA lift. As mentioned, once you get the 31's on there, you will lose a majority of 5th gear. Eventually you will want the 4.16 t-case for it's high range correction and the low range benefits. There are numerous Cross Over and/or Hi Steer systems on the market now. None have come close to matching the Breeze CO mounting system. There are reason's why Breeze has not come out with a Hi Steer for the stock Samurai axles. We will be adding an article on steering in our Tech Section that discusses the pro's and con's of what's out there with real facts and pictures. For now, here is the latest in low buck arms on the market. There are several issues with it that we will cover in the article.

TGT - NCO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 846964-flatarmmed.jpg (10.6 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what you are about to do is a great move...however you sammy wont handle the best but hey who cares anyway [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:10 PM
mikrosilakhan

I wish i had known and now i do i highly recomend the next mod be a anti-wrap bar ... otherwise you crush the axle tubes,ruin the springs ,pinion bearing,u-joints and possibly driveshaft
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:33 PM

dont listen to anyone who says all you need is some perches. Check out Tims site it has a great lift comparison article.
MInium you need for spoa(correctly)
1. 4 spring perches
2. z-bar or cross over steering if you can afford it.
3. Front and rear extended brake lines
4. Front and rear drive shaft spacers
6. Depending on where you live U-bolts
7. 4 lower shock mounts
8. New shocks

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

>There are numerous Cross Over and/or Hi Steer systems on the market now. None have come close to matching the Breeze CO mounting system.
----------------------------------

I would debate this. Our OTT system is designed to be incredibly beefy. I've seen nothing stronger, though I'll admit the Breeze system does look good. Our OTT system is also much more flexible than any other on the market. It can be used LHD, or RHD. It can be used as a drag link knuckle over system, or as a full knuckle over system with drag link and tie rod.

Perhaps best of all, it is less expensive than any other knuckle over system on the market.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Keep this in mind too... if you get a 5 inch SPOA lift, once you put the 31 inch tires on you will actually have 7.5 inches of total lift from stock. 31 inch tires are 5 inches larger than stock, so that means you will have 2.5" extra all the way around. That is just a good ego booster to say that! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:01 AM

RRO's 5" pads are the 4.5" pads... they are the same... the reason why they started calling them 5" setup was due to the springs, once you bring them over to the top, you basically get 5" inches of lift as a minimum lift for SPOA... just wanted to clarify that....

IMO (in my opioninion) I love the RRO pads mostly due to the fact that they self align and are easy as heck to weld up and not mess up anything...

so to me it sounds like you are heading down with an excelent setup.... you will need to address the gearing though for the 31's...
my engine was old and tired and those 31's really dogged the engine...even 4th gear sucked...

now I have a 16v 1.6 setup from Brent at Trail Tough and that engine rocks.. way tons of power for stock gearing, and 31's + it gets 2 mpg's better than that samurai engine got...

all I can say is be patient and realize that once you start with the SPOA, lots of things start comming into play... like the following needs, not in order and sometimes not nessasary yet...

springs, the stock springs will wear out fast once in SPOA form, so you might want to add a leaf to each pack when you do the SPOA...

Gearing for the tires...

Panhard Bar, for stabilizing

BackSpaced rims,, beter stability and handling and keeps your wide tires off your springs.
I am using 2.5 inch backspaced rims currently with my 31x10.5x15 tires...

Beefier t-case mounts, once you add gearing, your mounts go tweek fast...

Front bumper, usually people need to address this one due to the larger tires...

beat the back of the front wheelwells flat, there is a seam that will cut up your tires if you don't beat it flat.

Invest in a roll cage, think of it as a helmet for a motorcycle...

another thing to think about is now that you are messing with lifts and stuff, you might want to replace those bushings for the shackles, most of the time they are shot and will add to any adverse handleing...

I can't think of anything else....

just trying to give you a heads up of a list of mods that come up once you start....

but seriously take care of your spings while you do the lift... I wish I would have done that...
the SPOA will work your springs way more than they have ever been worked before....

thanks and welcome to the board...

Skip and a few others here on this board are up there where you live, you might want to give them a holler...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode