what should I build now?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

what should I build now??

Ok, so far all thats actually showed up at my place of all the promised parts for me to use in prototyping are a couple of older frames. that, and the other half has told me to clean out, so now I've got the fun job of figuring out what to do with all my parts, so feedback requested on the specific following options to be fitted to either a 410, or 413 frame:

Mercedes 2.8 straight 6 dual carb engine, or 2.4l 4 cylinder diesel?
Mercedes 4 speed auto ( No OD) vs 4 speed manual ? ( exact same ratios)
Rover axles, vs Sj410 axles, vs find a front to match the 68" wide Ford 9" I have ?
coil springs VS rear up front/yj rear w/ missing link style shackles all around.?

I'm looking for input from the BBS 'cause I may just sell the entire unit as a rolling chassis for someone to fit their own body to. ( depending on what you guys find interesting, I might be able to make 2 chassis)'conventional' isnt too much of an issue, as I'll be making ANY of the possible combinations myself, in the hopes of show-casing to the people here what I can do. so, fire away with the constructive (sic) opinions guys.

TIA
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 05:54 PM

Re: what should I build now??

I would go with a manual tranny with 2.4L 4 banger. on the samurai frame. Yj's has been done and numerous kits exist so I would try a coil suspension. My .02 though
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

LOL - yah, I'd 'guessed' that you' d be interested in seeing how easy a benz diesel would go in. My buddy pulled my spare diesel engine out from Calgary, and I'll dummy it in in the next day or so, and send you a couple of pics...I've got a couple of ideas I'd like to try on that setup, too, and I'm thinking 1 frame will end up diesel manual, nd the other as a 6 cylinder auto. ( Jekyl, and Hyde??)

anyone else like to chime in? the reason for the odd parts list is thats what I have on hand right now. I want to clear up, and get some working capital again, and the available combinations make for interesting rigs.

forgot to mention t-cases: OE Niva w/ 1.2:1 high, 2.2:1 low, and FULL TIME 4wd, or divorced toyota case?.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 06:41 PM

A few of my opinions Chris,

I like the 4 cyl. diesel as well. The uniqueness of the 6 cyl. is ok, but to my knowledge there arent that many diesels being done yet. I also like the coils better, as that seems to be the future for the mongo flexer setups. IVe got the rears up front, cj rear setup, as it was easy to do. What ever you build, I cant wait to see some pics.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jim. 2 things I'll add in light of your post that arent relevant to 'me', but are to others.

a) the Benz 6 cylinder SOHC are cheap, and plentiful...I can usually get complete, running motors for <$500 Canadian. Benz diesels, despite their long life, are in higher demand and go for $1200+ Canadian for good ones. ( rebuilt diesels go for ~$3500 Canadian)

b) manual tranny flywheels for the diesels are 'somewhat' rare, so duplicting a manual diesel setup is likley to be expensive.( not really an issue if it works well, I guess)

thanks for the feedback, and yes, I'll post pics.

chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Throw in the diesel and manual tranny and whatnot, and screw a body! Make it like a buggy thing! See how many times in one day you can get pulled over! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode