Off Roading Forums banner

Folddown/Removable Windshield Question

365 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Yankee Tim 
#1 ·
When you fold down or remove the windshield what happens to the wipers and the wiper motor? Is there a connector on the motor and wipers? Also with the fold down kit do the two over head bars get removed permenantly or is there some quick disconnect for them. TIA. Jim

#2 ·
the wipers and such stay where they are, there is a connector to unplug the wiper motor but it comes with a long enough cord so it folds down eaisly, there is also the washer tube that you need to unplug as that doesn't have the slack in it like the wiper motor, and the radio antenna doesn't have a plug, i haven't figured the antenna out yet, i might mount mine on the fender or someplace other than the windsheild frame. You also have to remove the top of the door frame also to flop your sheild. I took my spreader bars off permanemtly but I am getting a full cage soon.

#3 ·
All good questions...
The wiper motor will pop out of the dashboard and a little snap-in plastic panel will go flying into the air (don't believe me? Just watch) This panel snaps back in real easily. Everything just stays put, but take care not to turn the wipers on while its folded down or you may scratch up your hood.

As for the overhead quick release... Figmo at Roadless Gear mentioned that he was trying to cook something up for that but at the moment it's just Screws although I upgraded to allen screws.

Murph

#4 ·
Ahhh, you now progressed to the point were you need you start thinking...CAGE!

Once you have a cage in place, you can permanenyly lose the two center bars. Then all you have are the two pieces at the tops of the doors. 2 mins with a ratcheting screw driver, and those are removed when you need to. Then you can lose the targa too. I have mine on with nothing to hold it in. It kinda is a pressure fit. Works well for me. But you'll need to re-install these 3 pieces to put a full top on.

That's when the windshield kit will come in handy. I replaced the pins in the hinge with self latching cotters. I simply pull them, unlatch the windshield and unplug the wiper motor. Now I can lose my windshield.

With all of this gone, visibility is greatly improved (on the trail of course). And it eliminates the chance of these parts being damaged/destroyed on the trail by a roll or a simple lean into a tree.

Before you spend the $100 on the fold-down kit, invest in a cage. Safety first, Jim! All else comes second. (Now only if Bob will understand this)

#6 ·
Glad to help open your eyes. The same was done for me, but I didn't really listen. Then one day, when I came too close to rolling, did it sink in. A roll can occur on even the simplest trail ride. By then, thoughts of a cage area day late, dollar short.

You can get a front add-on cage bent for under $150. Food for thought. Even if you don't wheel with it ever again (yeah, right), it will still add to the over all safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.