O/T - Uh oh, is it my turn? Pit Bull stress... RANT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

O/T - Uh oh, is it my turn? Pit Bull stress... RANT

I just got done talking, filling out forms, and paying an animal control officer (registration?) for a bite incident.

The complaint comes from a meter reader who says he/she was bit this morning while in my back yard (fenced).

I was home all morning... I recall Zero running outside to bark once or twice this morning, but that happens with rabbits, birds, garbage trucks, etc. so I didn't really make note of it.

Fortunatley, we get to keep him under home quarentine. I thought for sure they were going to take him. Heck, I half feared they would put him down... but since it happened in my back yard and he is current on his shots, the rules are quite fair... I guess.

I just have a problem with not being made aware of this when it happened this morning. I was home, in fact, for a while I was on the roof and in the garage. Why wasn't I told earlier? No knock, no call, no note. I just have to accept what I am told and deal with it. I don't even know who made the complaint. This individual claims I was aware of the incident.

Being the typical Samurai owner, I try to ignore the fear mongering media. I explored the issues myself and I chose a Pit Bull for my family because the breed has fantastic qualities in spite of the hype. I also know that there are people who would kill a pit on site due to fear.

And how about court, is there a lawsuit comming? Will a judge see "pit" and assume the dog is a pit fighting lunatic, bread in back yard slum, being fed a diet of cats and rattlesnakes?

I hate that I am going to have to put up some kind of "beware of dog" signs. It seams to purpetuate the whole fear we are trying to stamp out. If I had a dollar for every time someone said, "a pit bull? Really? But he is so [nice, freindly, sweet, whatever]"....

Oy.

In two days I start my new job. Had this gone down then, I would have come home to a missing dog with a note on the front door. If Zero really is aggressive to strangers in the back yard, who knows?

Oy. Where's my drink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: O/T - Uh oh, is it my turn? Pit Bull stress... RANT

that stinks - can you 'make' them prove its YOUR dog, based on bite marks? (and yah, I'd rake them over the coals for not making you aware of it at the time....thats like someone going to the police with an un-identifiable scuff mark on their bumper, saying 'so-and-so did it, but I didnt stop them at the time'....)

yah - pits CAN be nice dogs...treat them like pets, and they'e great. its some of the owners who need to be put down really badly 8^P ( and no, I dont mean you Ionsponge)

chris
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

The Animal Control guy was very helpful, he told me he has a pit of his own, but the comments on the sheet he brought with him were not helpful to say the least. The AC guy guesses that meter reader "assumed" I knew about the incident since the dog came from the house (but he has his own door) and that I must have let him out. Evidently there are those who have their dogs chase the meter people for entertainment?
Seriously, this house is more of the "beware of owner" type. Zero has been in large crowds since he was two handfulls big. I just can't believe it happened, it doesn't make sense.
But let's pretend he came out ears down, hair up, all teeth and claws blah blah blah:
#1. That type of bark and snarl has it's own special "tone" and I am sure I would have taken notice of it.
#2. What Zero goes after, he usually comes back with. I taught him to mouse and he's caught more than a few (huge construction next to us had brought a swarm of vermin). The whole thing seams so unrealistic. If he was attacking, how did the guy/girl get away? Knowing the tenacity for which he will go for something (climbing up trees for squirrels, hangs in the air for a rope (tug o' war), swim till he can't walk on land (he'll pick a branch sticking out in the pond and tread water and pull till he comes back with something, etc), I can't imagine him letting a "target" get away so easily. There is just something wrong with the story.

I feel I have an obligation to communicate with the "victim" and I have no way of doing that. And it is REALLY starting to bother me. Especially if someone out there thinks a it's just another typical pitbull owner sic'ing his dog on an innocent meter reader.

Grrrrrr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 07:54 PM

This is probably stretching a bit, but any chance that the meter reader :: thought :: you let the dog out since he came out his own door, and made up this story out of anger or frustration?

Find a buddy or someone that the dog doesnt know whatsoever, and have them reinact coming in the back yard so you can verify how your dog handles the situation and see for yourself. Has this meter reader ever been in your back yard before?

I was at a friends house this last summer, and as the mailman turned down his dead end street that is aprox 1/2 mile long, 4 or 5 dogs, including my friends big collie, took off in a dead run towards the mail jeep. I hollered at my friends dog to stop, and my buddy said its ok let him go. Now I know you dont necessarily want your dog to make friends with everyone, but this mail guy had doggie treats, and every so often would toss one out the window going down the dead end street, and the dogs knew he was coming every day, and waited for him. I knew some of the postal workers carry a spray to get dogs away, and had feared my buddies dog was going to get sprayed. Not the case here at all. :: this is out in the country, no fence, leash, etc laws apply::

I am completly uneducated about pit bulls, so I have nothing of advice to offer, but based on your information, something doesnt sound right. I wonder if the scrapes on the meter reader are from their panic as they saw your dog and tried to hurdle the fence upon retreat?

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 08:08 PM

Damn im glad im in arkasnas! Enter my yard at your own risk if you get bit it was your own dum @$$ fault!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 08:35 PM

Ion,

Something to concider, Dogs are bred down wolves. No one has completly bred out the social responses. How a dog will respond to someone on "his" turf varies with who is presesnt. Who is the "alpha" in your family? This can change over time too. My dog when I was a kid had Dad pegged alpha, later he accepted mom as alpha. Sometimes the dog itself is alpha in the family.

How you dog will respond to an outsider, espesially on home turf, will also change with who is present, or not present.

Lastly If they sense fear on the person, It can bring out aggressive behavour. Even in the "gentlest" of dogs. Don't kid yourself that yours is different. All dogs are wild anamals, with a thin veneer of behavour over the basic social instincts. (so are people for that matter!)

I had 2 dogs, 1/2 alaskan timber wolf, 1/2 junkyard german shepard (roughly). First loud sounds they ever made were wolf howls. Couldn't let any one come close to the food bucket. Kane would defend it. Except for me, (even if he was eating) and Cindy, (only to fill it). (guess who was alpha?) In public, he was perfectly behaved, if somwhat cautious.

Tamera on the other hand was a pussycat. Totally gentle. Except once, in public, she went after another small dog. I had to tackle her leash. I never did figure out what got into her, and it never happened again. Wild animals.

Try the test thart was sugested, but use someone the dog doesn't know. Strangers can cause different reactions, but even this won't prove anything for certain, unless the dog gets agressive again.

-Outlaw
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 09:19 PM

I have had nothing but bad experiences w/ pit bulls. unfotunately being in law enforcement I normally deal w/ ones that hate everyone even their owners. Best not to talk w/ the supposed V without an attorney it could lead to a lawsuit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 09:33 PM

You know i watch that show on it sometimes mostly on accident and I think its a buncha BS
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 09:48 PM

HI Sponge,

I can feel you. I had to give up my first Rott due to an animal control officer was supposedly bitten by her. Funny thing is that for someone who was bitten by a dog that jaw strength second only to Pitts is she had no scars.
Best thing to do is hold your head up, and keep faith in your best friend.

Tom
lilsammy4x4 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 10:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

We had to put down our last Shepherd due to a bite incident . He had gotten loose , and was running around visiting other town dogs . Unfortunately , some guy decided he was going to either grab or kick him , big mistake . He got bit pretty good , but I still say he had it coming . The dog never did show any aggression , even to the vet the day he was put to sleep , whom he hated with a passion . I usually had to ride him around the office to hold him down for shots, ect . This day, he took his medicine . I now have a much stronger pen , and signs to warn folks , that's all their getting . I'm not losing another dog , I'd rather shoot the moron that caused the problem...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode