Shes a hot one - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Shes a hot one

Well it was the first time i really took my zook out on the road since i bought it. I got down the road and my engine was running hot. Not on the (H), one notch down. It stayed there, all most like either the radiator can't cool the water enough or the new thermostat is not opening when it should. My question is should i buy a bigger radiator or do you think this one is clogged. I bored it .30 over, but i dont think that would make such a diff. that the stock radiator would not cool it. I was thinking i could try to run it without a thermostat. If i do need a bigger radiator what is a easy swap into a zook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 08:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Shes a hot one

Petroworks sells a 3core radiator , I'd be changing out that thermostat first, though . Also , if you bored it .030 over, it may be overheating due to a lean condition . If you have a stock carb , check to make sure the O2 sensor is good , and the carb isn't plugged or a bad fuel filter . If power is good , I'd start looking at the inside of the radiator for crud , or any sign of it being plugged . These usually don't run hot unless there is a good reason , I have a highly modified motor that runs 185* in 90*+ heat everyday...
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanx Sarge, I put a new thermostat in it when i rebuilt it, not saying this one isnt bad, Pep boys has given me some new junk parts before, Now with the 02 sensor, I'm not getting any ck engine lite anymore after i switched that little switch under the steering wheel. I replace the fuel filter, I will have to go ck the carb for any crap in it. Now when i rebuilt my engine the cooling pasages were pretty much clogged with crap. thats why i think it might be a clogged radiator. Plus when i bought it, it had a warped head and there were like 4 thermostats laying in the glove box so im thinking this was a problem before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:00 PM

my father in laws did that until we took it to the radiatorshop where they blew all the crud out of it now it works great.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've had times where 3 thermostats in a row were bad , all brand new . I dont' really get it , I use to be able to buy parts and they actually worked . I guess quality doesn't mean too much anymore . Be wary of radiator shops , their favorite thing is to boil a decent unit until it's junk , then want to sell you a new one .....
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:19 PM

Did you use a 180 or 195 thermostat??
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 10:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like either a stuck thermostat or you need to get your radiator "rodded" (60-80 bucks).

(also what sarge sez about the carb running "lean" - wink wink, nod nod!)

That is assuming that you don't have one of the newer plastic radiators.

Is your Zuk newer than 88.5?

I have a 1.6 now running with a freshly-rodded 1.3 radiator with a 185 degree thermostat and it runs pretty much like the 1.3 did temp-wise.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 10:23 PM

My 1.6 always ran hot, the sammy radiator was just too small. Swapped in the Geo radiator, problem solved! I think the 1.6 just makes too much heat for the 1.3 radiator to dissapate.

BTW the Geo radiator fits really nice too, i welded a small bracket the pass side frame rail, and another to the front cross tube with holes for the radiator cushions, hoses fit perfect too.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 05:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had that problem.... cost me an engine.... found our 1/3 of the radiator was clogged
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 08:05 AM

I put a radiator in my Tracker because I eliminated all the other o'heat suggestions, problem solved. Tore the plastic caps off the old one and found so much stopleak material had plugged it up terribly.

I bought my radiator online with no problems except getting the company to explain 3 prices for the same radiator. Do a search on Tracker radiators for the place I got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode