Death Sway...... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Death Sway......

Has anyone ever experienced this? At highway speeds, one wheel drops into a "dip" in the road and then sets into motion a "death sway" that I would pay $$$ to ride at Coney Island. I only started to experience this after I installed the P/S.... I'll be replacing the front springs with rears, and have DT3000 shocks that are maybe 2 years old if that... Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 05:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Death Sway......

me n rob were discussin it man, what condition is yer steerin stabilizer in? your meticulous about everything else, but p/s "could" make a worn out stab show up. only thing we can think of.
BiLLy bOb n Robzuk
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I think you and Rob might be onto something.... I do have a Rancho stabilizer and had to reposition it a bit and did notice that it felt worn in the old position (if that makes sense). I'll pick up another one and see how that one works out. Using the Kick PS, the OEM stabilizer cannot be used, so I'm left with having one on the axle tube, tie rod.... I wonder if I could fab a bracket for the Kick pitman arm? Anyone ever do this?
BB...I'm looking forward to catching up with you at the Melt!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 06:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

its the only thing we could think of. hope it is yer prob n ya get it fixed.
BiLLy bOb
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 08:07 AM

could this be some of my problem too....
i replaced the motor and have more get up and go now. and also just replaced the felts and bearing as i rebuilt the kingpins last weekend. i still have the sway bar because some dodo before me welded a bracket to it for the stabelizer shock. its not a stock shock but i dont know what it is. when going down the road sometimes it does a REALLY QUICK dart or jerk. there is really no play now in the stearing. i also took of the stock bar and put on a Z-Bar. just wanted to know was this something i had to live with or can it be fixed. its a daily driver
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

First off , having a stabilizer at the tie rod is better than the pitman arm , it helps to keep the vibration away from the steering box . Also , some power steering boxes are not centered properly , and can cause some serious handling problems . If you set the front axle on jackstands with the wheels free of the ground , start the engine and see if the power steering pulls the wheels to one direction . If the top centering valve isn't set exactly correct , upon startup the wheels can violently rotate to one side . This sets up a bias in one direction , and the stabiizer can fight with it . This will really show up if the stabilizer is weak in the same direction . Adjusting the centering valve is really tricky , I can show you how they work at the Melt....
Sarge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Sarge.....I'll take you up on that....Thanks!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 01:08 PM
Veteran

This is more what it isn't that what is is. You should not need a stab to prevent this sort of behaviour. Many people take them off after adding PS. A stab is basically a bandaid. Something in your steering geometry, allignment, or the PS unit is at fault. Sorry, best I can do w/o seeing it. Did you get the kit from TT? Give Brent a call if you did. Maybe he has seen this before.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 02:14 PM

I had a similar problem after I installed the Calmini shackle reversal. After hours of talking to Steve and way too many hours trying other setups, I removed it. The "Death Sway" magically dissappeared!Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like you have a bumpsteer problem. The drop draglink still won't fix the angel problem.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The drop drag link didn't resolve the problem, but it did help. I know it's not the S/R as it never did this prior to P/S. I believe it's several things working in concert again, creating this adventure in zookin'.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode