Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   need help steering linkage bolt! (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/126715-need-help-steering-linkage-bolt.html)

studlybil03 07-06-2002 11:49 PM

need help steering linkage bolt!

hey guys I know I am postin a lot and sorry for that but I am tryin to strip this sammy and got another que it seems the axle side of the drag link has this bolt with this wire type of lockin device on it should I just cut it off and put another type of bolt on it or what??

also if these bolts on the frame spring hanger dont come off can I just cut them off??

Samurai202 07-07-2002 12:07 AM

Re: need help steering linkage bolt!

Mine just broke off when I was unscewing it. I wouldn't worry about it. Just throw on a lock washer and some lock tight. I think it's just there to keep the nut from backing out. Like it ever could anyway I pounded on that sucker for well over an hour before it came off. Little did I know my neighbor had a pickly fork I coulda used....

studlybil03 07-07-2002 12:22 AM

ha ha thanks for sharin wiht me man I gonna cut it tom

DougO 07-07-2002 12:46 AM

Billy, you really need to get at least a Haynes or Chilton manual, and read it cover to cover.

studlybil03 07-07-2002 12:49 AM

got me a haynes not to big on readin but I will def give it some attention!

outlawmws 07-07-2002 11:19 AM

If I understood you correctly, the "wire" is a cotter pin. You can straigten it and pull it out, or just turn the castle nut and it will sheer with a bit of effort. You can buy replacements at any auto or hardware store.

Don't use lock tight or lock washers here, it's your steering. Jeep left cotter pins out of some of their Heeps years back. The thing vibrated loose and fell off for this woman and her kids. Result? She wound up at the bottom of a canyon and nearly lost her life. One of her daugters died. I read about the lawsuits, and years later she wound up working for me, so I got the inside story.

Bottom line, Cotter pins are positive locking devices and should be used for critical things like steering. locktight and lockwashers are passive locking devices and can fail.