lookin at welders need input! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

lookin at welders need input!

hey guys well we all eventually get better and step up a lil in the weldin world right......right!.....SO I been lookin around and found this lil 225 stick lincoln for 220 today and it looked like a lil welder that could do some burnin but I dont know I need good prices for good welders all input is needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Re: lookin at welders need input!

also boys in dealin with this welder lincoln offers this torch/ mig conversion type of think for lik 175 more would that work with this?? I really need to know I will not spend more than 500 on a welder and would like a mig that I can use to do some good welds or should I go with stick?? see billy is confused he needs some help here guys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

A miller 175= $700 a good investment you will never need anything else.

I bought a Miller 210 ($1500) just because it has a plug in for the alum spool gun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:08 AM
Pooh-Bah

Youd be smarter to get a mig, a lot easier to learn with, unf, your price range is just below the good welder, like bill4est mentioned. But, if you want something to build items NOT critical for safety(suspension, steering, roll cages) and cant spend that much, take a look at this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2035692359, I've used it before in a shop I worked at and it does a decent job. though it would be harder to locate consumables, unless the person selling the item has them also. I've also read on message boards about people having problems with the welder from time to time, though I didnt, so having it, or finding a place to service it could also be a problem. Craftsman(century) also has a good 120V 150A mig, crowhorse has that one, and I think it costs around 500, its convienet cause it uses 120, though it needs a dedicated(forget which) 20 or 30A breaker for best results.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 02:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also have the Craftsman (Century & Miller both made it, depends on what era model you get...mine is a Century model) and have nothing but good things to say about it. Cost me just under $600 if I am remembering correctly. It will do 1/4 inch in a single pass and provide a good solid weld (I've tested it). I would recommend this welder to anyone on a budget or wanting one that will run off household current. Otherwise, I would have to agree with Bill, get the Miller, it's probably one of the best non-pro welders on the market.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 06:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey man, a stick is nice to have around, done a lot with mine on my zuk, even patched rust on the body, but YES, ya gotta be GOOD with em to do it. a mig is definately the way to go though. if ya got $500 to blow on a welder, forget the stick n go mig. like their saying, ya can get a pretty dern good one for that. also, a local weldin shop has 175amp/220v hobart handler migs on sale for $545.oo!! just got me one. its sweeeeeet.
BiLLy bOb
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 09:10 AM
Way Outta Control

I've had an AC Lincoln 225 stick welder for 30+ years, it does a good job, but it it takes lots and lots of practice to get it right.
If you go with a stick welder, make sure it has both AC and DC. DC's lots easier to weld with, especially out of position, AC penetrates better but is harder.

Mig - I recently bought a Hobart Handler 135 - 110 volt - it's advertised as being able to do up to 3/16ths in a single pass. BULL! It does it, but won't penetrate, just a surface weld. Welds break easy. JB Weld glue would do better, maybe even a bead of silicone. Thought it was defective - 2 different warranty stations said it was fine.
Took the POS back to the weld shop and threw it at them.

Bought a Miller 210 Mig - now that's a welder. Caught it on sale for $1100 with a free spool gun included.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 01:18 PM

I had a miller 35 S 220V mig for over 20 years. It was a great workhorse for me, building race cars and 4WD conversions. Sold it a year ago and bought a Lincoln SP125 110V welder. The advantage this lincoln has is the FULLY adjustable heat control. If you go 110V this makes it much easier to get good welds. but to go welding on anything heavy you want to stay with fliux core ( it burns hotter), and start thinking about pre heating the weld joint area. You can do good welds with some 110V welders, but you have to work at it a bit harder.

If you have the space, the 220 welders are better. I bought the 110V to save space, and knowing I probably don't do that much heavy stuff these days. If needed I still have the AC/DC stick welder!

Stick welding takes PRACTICE. You need to pay attention to what your welding, and what rod to use. Tinsel strength of arc welds isnt as high as Mig, but are usually somewhat more ductile. A friend and I spent a weekend welding test welds and breaking them off using an old bender bar torque wrench. He had an arc, and I had my Miller. A week later he bought his first mig welder! He no longer even owns a stick.

My .02 cents and just some things to concider.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

ya I was lookin at the pro mig 135 by lincoln and its 427 at lowes and seems like an able lil welder otherwise it will be a il while to get the 700 dollar one! dunno stil have not got dead set on that or anything else yet I talked to a guy and he said 130-140 is all the welder you will ever need! so I dunno I stil am shoppin I was lookin at a crafts stick for 300 ac/dc 230/140 he also told me to stay DC and not AC but I dunno bout to much also my bro is payin for me to go nights to tulsa to get a lil certification so he can pay me under the table to do some weldin work for his business!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

hey guys what about these ready welders rocky road sells not to bad in price and seems kind of koo but what do yall think of it?? any dis advantages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode