YJ Springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

YJ Springs

For the last four months I have been acquiring the pieces to rebuild my tintop. All along, the goal has been to go SPOA with a YJ spring conversion front and rear. The spring controversy has really thrown a ball of wax into the project. What springs are any good? Originally I was going to pick up some hand-me-downs at a local off road shop. That however, seemed like a poor idea because they might have been abused and I wouldn't know what I was getting. I considered J.C. Whitney. They have a cheap rep in some areas however, so I decided against that. I was going to order a set of YJ Old Man EMU's from Rocky Road, but now there are some hints that Old Man EMU's are too soft and will not hold up. What is a good spring for a YJ SPOA? I had already planned on ordering the Breeze Industries anti-wrap set up because of all of the spring wrap discussions. I spend my time on the street, in the sand, and in the mud. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:24 PM
zukiman

Re: YJ Springs

I got my springs from the junk pile behind a 4x4 shop....taken off of street-driven stock YJ's, replaced with lift kits. I'm using 5-packs up front, and in back I found that with my Samurai's heavy butt, a custom pair of 6-packs (made from all 4 leaves of a 4-pack plus 2 leaves from a 5-pack) makes for the perfect spring rate and essentially zero axle wrap.

-- Geoff Beasley
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:33 PM
GRW

To answer your questions (I think) requires a little more info.
How much lift are you trying to get ?
How much weight will you be hauling ?
How much flex are you after ?
If you don't want much more than a 2" (like OME 2" Samurai spring would give) then you are looking at stock YJ's (or close to it).
The weight you hual will make a differance on weather you want 4,5,or 6 leaf's. I have fours, and think five's are the way to go. If you haul alot of extra weight you may want the 6 ers.
As far as flex goes, if you go with a lifted YJ you will reduce the stuff you will get. One of the nice thing's about the YJ is that it is a almost flat spring, great for stuff and drop. As far as springs go, I picked up a set of used ones from my local 4X4 shop (low miles, & good shape) for $25 (rears). They work great except they are only 4 leaf pack and can't handle a bunch of weight. But boy they stuff nice. I keep checking for a set of five's and I will probobly pay close to the same price. If I was going to by new springs (wich I don't plan on) I would by stock replacements, no lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I am adding 33's, so I need enough lift for that. Weight wise, I rarely have more than 1 passenger on board, so I imagine parts, tools, and camping gear, probably about 500 pounds loaded.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Geoff. I may try that. I was originally going to go for 5 leafs all around. I may try that first and then add a leaf if I end up with rear end sag.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 07:50 PM

I second the 5 leaves all the way around. Go for stock ones. Look how long your stock samurai springs lasted. I know that rough country has a reputation of being stiff so they probably would work good on the rear end. Like I said though just go with factory YJ's and I think you will like them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 07:56 PM

What I did was order a set(2) of 2.5" lifted Pro Comp springs from Leon Rosser Jeep ($48 each) They have two different spring rates...I got the softest one, I then took two stock 4 leaf packs and used the top two leafs from the stock pack and one lower leaf from the Pro Comp and made a 3 leaf front pack with about 1.5" of lift. But on the rear I tried 2 top leafs from the Pro Comp pack and 1 lower of the stock pack.....It sits about .5" higher in the front(with a TT kit). I'm going to install another Pro Comp leaf in the rear for a 4 leaf rear spring and see how that works with a full load of campin' gear on the Rubicon.....It's all about building springs for your needs, no aftermarket spring for a YJ will give you the best Suzuki spring...mix and match to find what works for your wheelin' style.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:22 PM
Wyld_Bill

OK Geoff, I've wanted to talk to you about your set up. I also have a hardtop with YJ's. Rightnow I have the 5 leafs on back & haven't swapped in a set of 4 leafs that I have, up front yet. It seems like the back is already sagging & the springs are a little bit wrapped already. So your setup works good huh? Good flex still with the extra leafs? Why do we need MORE leafs on our zooks that weigh half as much as the Jeeps that they came off from though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode