fill trany at shifter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Sami86

fill trany at shifter?

Just woundering if you can fill the trany with gear oil by removing the shifter and filling it there? Seems like it will be a hasle to fill it from underneath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:49 PM

Re: fill trany at shifter?

You can, but be careful about over/under filling. and damaging/losing the pivot pin. leave the fill plug out, fill slowly, and let the excess come out the fill plug hole.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 02:26 PM

I find it easier to use the hand pump accessory on the oil bottle. Its like a large soap dispenser that screws on to the gear oil container and allows you to "pump" it by hand into the tranny through the fill plug. (the fill plug has to off anyway you do it) I got mine a wal-mart for like $3.
Works just as well on axles and etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 02:46 PM

You may want to read my comments about the sloppy shifter problem before pulling the stick.

Here's the link.

<a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadsuzuki&amp; Number=798524&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=offroadsuz uki&amp;Words=don%27t%20let%20this%20happen%20to%2 0you&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&am p;Limit=25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main=798524>http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadsuzuki&amp; Number=798524&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=offroadsuz uki&amp;Words=don%27t%20let%20this%20happen%20to%2 0you&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&am p;Limit=25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main=798524</a>

Good luck,

Roger
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Sami86

I have already taken the shifer out. I pulled the tranny alonge with the engine when I rebuilt the engine. The shifter bolt was fine. Loose, but fine. I will be reinstalling the engine/tranny soon, and thought it would be easier to fill the tranny at the shifter while the shifter was out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah, you can fill from the shifter like others have described above with the fill level bolt removed.

You probably discovered that the trannie drains itself thru the output shaft if you remove it filled with gear oil making a huge mess. If not, DON'T try to take a shortcut and fill it before installation!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use synthetic gear oil you will be amazed. My son changed the clutch on the sammy then drove it around for two days with no gear oil (oops) needless to say it became very loud and would not shift we put synthetic in it that was a year and half ago it shifts better than it ever did an no noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode